Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Fill up on great sandwiches at Starving Artist

by Robin Garr » Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:41 am

Fill up on great sandwiches at Starving Artist Café & Deli

Walk in to Starving Artist's tiny space and you might think you've been wafted back to the '60s. You don't have to be a hippie to love the food, though.

Not that I’m worried about the Delta variant or anything – well, not too much. But it may have been a factor the other day in my decision to try takeout for the first time in a while. This is how I ended up at Starving Artist Café & Deli in Lyndon, which may be the best restaurant in town that I’ve hardly ever heard of.

Starving Artist is a tiny storefront packed with a half-dozen tables, a service window, and colorful decor – a psychedelic VW bus, peace symbols, flowers and exhortations to love – on its bright purple and green walls. It accepts only cash or checks, no credit cards; and it’s open only from 10 a.m.-4 p.m. weekdays: never on weekends.

Starving Artist never advertises. Its only online presence appears to be a Facebook page. And as far as I can tell after extensive searching, no local food critic (not even me) has ever reviewed it in its 20 years of operation.

Walk in to Starving Artist's tiny space and you might think you've been wafted back to the ‘60s. You don't have to be a hippie to love the food, though. Everything is made fresh from local produce, it’s made consistently well, and the menu pricing will take you back, if not to the ‘60s, at least to a simpler pre-inflationary time.

Speaking of the menu, that’s a little idiosyncratic, too. It’s hard to find, and the woman who took my phone order warned me not to trust the menus I find online, “because there are a lot of them, and they change.” A larger menu on the restaurant wall appears to be current, but quite a few of its prices are blacked out. So take all this with a grain of artisanal sea salt, but the good news is that nothing here is going to whack your wallet painfully. ...

Read the complete article on LouisvilleHotBytes,
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/sandw ... ing-artist

You'll also find this review in LEO Weekly's Food & Drink section today.
http://www.leoweekly.com/category/food-drink/

Starving Artist Café & Deli
8034 New La Grange Road
412-1599
Facebook: http://bit.ly/kystarvingartist

Noise Level: Not really an issue with a few people hanging around waiting for their pickup orders at the service window.

Accessibility: The tiny storefront appears accessible to wheelchair users.
no avatar
User

Mike L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:58 am

Re: Fill up on great sandwiches at Starving Artist

by Mike L » Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:11 pm

Do you know if they take any special orders, like taking ingredients off some of their sandwiches, or is it basically as-is?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:43 pm

Mike, I’m not sure! A small place like this, I’d expect them to be accommodating, but I didn’t ask.
no avatar
User

Robin F.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:50 am

by Robin F. » Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:26 am

I love their chili. It’s not Louisville style and has an almost Mediterranean flavor (maybe). Yum!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:30 am

Thanks for the testimony, Robin. Now I wish I had tried the chili. But that tomato florentine soup was pretty amazing!
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:14 pm

Three things that I appreciate: sandwiches that are hot instead of cold, no online ordering, and no credit cards.

The 10-4, weekdays only hours nixes my opportunity most days, but I'll do my best to get there someday. That they've successfully operated in this way, for 20 years, is pretty impressive.