Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Jumbo Buffet

no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

Jumbo Buffet

by Richard S. » Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:53 am

Jumbo Buffet on Hurstbourne has reopened after being closed for several months The parking lot is decked out with flags like a used car lot. We always had family get-togethers here because it's central to where everyone lives, and the people were very friendly. Plus, it was always busy enough that the food didn't sit out on the steam table for long. It's not the fabled Red Pepper, but we like it and are happy to see it return.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Jumbo Buffet

by Robin Garr » Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:50 pm

Rich, I wonder how they're handling buffet service, considering the Delta variant. Free-for-all, or staff serving portions from the table?
no avatar
User

Mike D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:29 pm

by Mike D » Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:19 pm

No buffets for us.

In fact, we're back to no indoor dining. We're avoiding all indoor activities - dining, grocery shopping, etc.
no avatar
User

Terri Beam

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:26 pm

by Terri Beam » Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:21 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Rich, I wonder how they're handling buffet service, considering the Delta variant. Free-for-all, or staff serving portions from the table?

We ate there last week. It was basically a free-for-all. There were plastic gloves at the hostess/cashier station, but I don't recall seeing any customers wearing them. I really don't think staff serving is feasible, considering the way their buffet stations are set up. They are too numerous and scattered at odd angles. Signs indicated they had remodeled, but unless it was the sushi/hibachi area up front, I can't tell what's different.

The last time I was at Yoki Buffet in J-town, they still provided people with one-use plastic gloves, but I don't know if that's their current policy. I never saw the employees dishing out food there, but we have only been once or twice in the past year.

Food was okay (for buffet food). The General Tso's was slightly spicier than I find on most buffets, with a bit of different seasoning than I'm used to. There certainly was plenty of seafood to justify the $14 price tag for dinner. They put out small quantities of sushi at a time, so it doesn't have the chance to sit out for hours and get sticky (and nasty). I think they had a 94 or 95 on their HD rating, so the HD is perhaps not requiring mandatory patron gloves?

We lost our Chinese buffet in Fern Creek after COVID, so if I don't feel like driving all the way to J-town, I could see us visiting Jumbo again.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:41 pm

"We lost our Chinese buffet in Fern Creek after COVID, so if I don't feel like driving all the way to J-town, I could see us visiting Jumbo again."

You're likely refering to the buffet at Bardstown Rd and Hurstbourne. Boy, that place was about as good as you can get for the money. They were attentive to bringing in different dishes, desserts, fresh seasonal fruits, etc. I miss the place as well.
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:15 pm

Stopped in Jumbo today for lunch. They've completely remodeled the inside; it was actually a bit shocking how much the interior has changed. The entryway has changed, the big fish pond inside the door is gone and the checkout counter has been moved next to the door. There seems to be an increased emphasis on sushi. They always had a few sushi items, but it's been expanded into a counter that bears a resemblance to the sushi setup at Yoki Buffet.

And just to add some additional (worthless) information, I've been wasting a great deal of time recently watching the YouTube videos of a white guy from New York who has the freakish ability to learn a foreign language in just a few days. He speaks flawless Mandarin along with several other Chinese dialects, and he films himself going into Chinese restaurants and stores ordering in the native tongue of the shop owner. The reactions are generally along the lines of "you speak better Chinese than my kids." The point, though, was that in one of the videos the discussion turns to the fact that most sushi places in New York are actually run by Chinese people, not Japanese. I found that to be odd. The reason seems to be that it's not as miserably hot in the kitchen. Looking into it further, though, apparently there's a perception that Chinese food is considered cheap and you can charge more for sushi.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:26 pm

Richard S. wrote:most sushi places in New York are actually run by Chinese people, not Japanese.

That's interesting, because (at least in the past) many if not most sushi places here are run by Koreans. I'm not sure why that is, either.