Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Royals Hot Chicken in J-Town Closes

by Mark R. » Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:08 pm

According to an article just posted on Louisville 1st the Royals Hot Chicken in Jeffersontown closed effective August 8. They are blaming it on the pandemic and the effect they had on it that is being able to establish a regular customer base.

Here's a link to the article for those of you who have access: https://www.bizjournals.com/louisville/ ... uQbs6qwKYI
note: even if you don't have paid access to business 1st everyone is allowed a limited number of monthly articles free.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

BevP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat May 01, 2010 11:06 pm

Bullitt County KY

Re: Royals Hot Chicken in J-Town Closes

by BevP » Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:26 am

We went once and while it wasn't bad it didn't compare to Joella's either. With all the great options we have here in town why pay for fair when you can have really great. We are really blessed to have the problem, if you want to call it that ,of having that decision to make.
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:10 am

BevP wrote:We went once and while it wasn't bad it didn't compare to Joella's either. With all the great options we have here in town why pay for fair when you can have really great. We are really blessed to have the problem, if you want to call it that ,of having that decision to make.

Locations and personal preferences vary, of course, but I'll take Royals over Joella's 100 times out of 100. Which is really unfortunate since I live in walking distance to Joella's on Frankfort, but their chicken just doesn't have nearly the depth of flavor or spice that Royals' does. We've had some poor service experiences with Joella's recently, too. Very frustrating, overall.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:10 am

I know this must exist, and have seen mentions but can't remember details.

Are there places in Louisville with hot chicken on the bone? I'm not a fan of tenders, and sometimes you want more than just wings. I'm thinking of Hatties, Prince's, Gus's, even Popeyes or Bojangles (i know Popeyes is here,, but not geographically easy for me to get to).

Thanks for any help!
Andrew Mellman
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:09 pm

This hot chicken fad is going to go the way of the bagel stands and wrap places.. it was fun while it lasted.

GG
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:54 pm

Gary Guss wrote:This hot chicken fad is going to go the way of the bagel stands and wrap places.. it was fun while it lasted.

GG

I agree with this sentiment, at least the other two I like the food, but for this round I'm certainly not impressed. Any effort we've had seemed greasy and really not that great!
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:58 pm

Andrew, Louie’s Hot Chicken on Poplar Level has hot chicken on the bone. I think Joella’s does a quarter dark on the bone as well.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:18 pm

Andrew Mellman wrote:I know this must exist, and have seen mentions but can't remember details.

Are there places in Louisville with hot chicken on the bone? I'm not a fan of tenders, and sometimes you want more than just wings. I'm thinking of Hatties, Prince's, Gus's, even Popeyes or Bojangles (i know Popeyes is here,, but not geographically easy for me to get to).

Thanks for any help!

Andrew, would the fried chicken, spicy hot option, at Chicken King or Indi's do what you're looking for, or are you seeking the specific Nashville style?
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:34 pm

I'd like to try both again in the same week or so to compare, not been since before the pandemic. In the past I preferred Royals' sides, though I noticed that Joella's now has more options since my last visit. I seem to like Joella's chicken better, but maybe because a place with no bone-in option was hard to take seriously. Certainly not the case at the OG that I visited in '20, a month before the shutdown, Prince's: https://www.princeshotchicken.com/south-shack-menu.

For a current menu comparison
Joella's: https://joellas.com/menu-all.php]
Royals: https://royalshotchicken.com/menu
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:59 pm

I believe Royals opened serving bone-in hot chicken but abandoned it pretty quickly. I actually remember getting pushback on this board from someone at Royals when I questions whether the prices they were charging were sustainable. Despite that, my wife and I ate at the Jtown location fairly frequently. I wondered if they put sugar on the white bread underneath the chicken.

I think Louie's on Poplar Level does the best version of hot chicken in town. Not as greasy as some of the others.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:34 pm

Thanks for the recommendations.

Louie's isn't convenient - and neither are Chicken King or Indi- - but I think I'll start w Joella dark quarter and then try the others!
Andrew Mellman
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:45 am

Gary Guss wrote:This hot chicken fad is going to go the way of the bagel stands and wrap places.. it was fun while it lasted.

GG

But now we are smothered in Crab/Seafood boil spots. Heard about another one opening in Clarksville in the old Logan's this morning. The Juicy Crab.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:04 pm

GG

I disagree. Prince's in Nashville opened in 1945. Popeyes opened in 1972. Indi's opened in 1982!

True, the proliferation is more recent, but the concept is strong!
Andrew Mellman
User

Ron H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:10 pm

by Ron H » Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:52 am

Richard S. wrote:I believe Royals opened serving bone-in hot chicken but abandoned it pretty quickly.

I think Louie's on Poplar Level does the best version of hot chicken in town. Not as greasy as some of the others.

Royals did open serving bone-in hot chicken and did abandon it, because the Philistines in this town preferred tendies. Also, I second the recommendation for Louie's on Poplar Level. I've had Prince's (the original location and the second location), Bolton's, and Hattie B's, and Louie's is as good as any of them.
"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2000 of something." - Mitch Hedberg
User

Ron H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:10 pm

by Ron H » Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:55 am

Also while I'm on the subject, Prince's in the South Nashville location wasn't as good as the previous location on Ewing. It's hard to replicate 30 years of grease overnight, I guess.
"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2000 of something." - Mitch Hedberg
Next