Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Currito Coming Soon

no avatar
User

Terri Beam

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:26 pm

Currito Coming Soon

by Terri Beam » Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:37 pm

As we were picking up food and drinks from Jaggers and Starbucks on Dutchman's Lane (the lot formerly held by Texas Roadhouse) yesterday, I spied a "Coming Soon" sign a couple doors down from Starbys: Currito.

They have several locations in the greater Cinci area, but this will be the first KY location. I'm kind of excited about it, as I've gotten on a bowl kick: noodles, grains, greens, and proteins. The bowls are also available as wraps, so I'm also excited to try those. Despite the name, there are options that are not southwest-centric.

They seem quite similar to CoreLife Eatery which is also in our rotation these days. They also have smoothies, but just about everyone has those these days. My only complaint is that, yet again, nobody seems willing to invest in a healthy eatery out in Fern Creek. We've got the empty storefronts and land available, but what do we get? Another Taco Bell. #beatingadeadhorse
no avatar
User

Rich S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:07 am

Re: Currito Coming Soon

by Rich S » Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:48 pm

I’m also interested in trying this place, especially the Asian and Indian-style bowls. The Currito chain, which has about two dozen locations, is owned by the Cincinnati-based company that also owns The Eagle on Bardstown Road.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:22 pm

In Spanish, a currito is a guy who does odd jobs for pay. Coincidence, or is this somehow tied in to the restaurant name? I have no idea.
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:23 am

Robin Garr wrote:In Spanish, a currito is a guy who does odd jobs for pay. Coincidence, or is this somehow tied in to the restaurant name? I have no idea.

My first thought was that it's a portmanteau of curry and burrito, but that could be wrong, too.
no avatar
User

Rich S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:07 am

by Rich S » Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:05 pm

Currito doesn’t officially open until Tuesday (Sept. 14), but when I drove by at lunchtime today it was doing a soft opening along with some staff training. I got a Bangkok bowl to go (rice with various vegetables and peanut sauce, plus chicken), and it was very good. I’ll definitely be back to check out more of the menu. Prices seem a bit higher than, say, CoreLife: the basic bowl/wrap is $7.79, plus $2 for tofu, $2.50 for chicken or $3 for steak. But it made a very filling lunch.

I spoke briefly to the owner, who said he’d wanted to open last month but had to delay it because of problems finding enough employees.
no avatar
User

Terri Beam

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:26 pm

by Terri Beam » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:02 am

I ran by there last week to pick up some carry out. I got the Bangkok bowl, and my fiance got the summer bowl, both with chicken. I also picked up a vita boost smoothie.

Both bowls were pretty spicy. I think we both later announced to each other via text that our noses were running. :lol: We both thought the food was good, but I think we both prefer CoreLife slightly more. Like CoreLife, they offer a build-your-own option with each item being clearly labeled (kudos for that because CoreLife's are often NOT labeled at all). Currito's prices are a bit steep in my opinion as it was over $30 for two bowls and a smallish smoothie. I also prefer CoreLife's unusual bubbler drink options.

For being only their second fully open day, the staff were operating pretty smoothly, aside from one cashier not being able to understand what I was trying to order. .

We'll probably go back and try the build-your-own option (I'd like to tone down the heat but still retain some of the Thai character), but it won't be in our regular rotation, due to the price point/portion size ratio. I did see several health care workers grabbing carry out, so they might go over well with the abundant number of hospital/medical staff in the neighborhood.