Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Indian pizza at Primo’s Pizzeria

no avatar
User

Rich S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:07 am

Indian pizza at Primo’s Pizzeria

by Rich S » Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:51 pm

A recent Courier Journal story about Primo’s mentioned that, in addition to more typical offerings, the menu included a tikka masala pizza, which intrigued me. By the time I visited last week, Primo’s had added three more Indian-style pizzas: tandoori BBQ, palaak paneer and bhaji. The day I was there, they were out of tikka masala sauce, so I got the tandoori BBQ instead. It was very good, with relatively subtle Indian spices. The regular 11-inch pizza was enough for dinner, with leftovers for lunch.

The Indian pizzas all have a traditional crust and toppings (although you can get paneer instead of chicken); it’s the sauces that make them unusual. For example, the palaak paneer and bhaji pizzas are made with spicy spinach sauce and spicy mixed vegetable sauce, respectively.

Primo’s is a locally owned restaurant that replaced Pieology (a chain) about two years ago at 2043 S. Hurstbourne Parkway, in the strip of shops that also includes Half Price Books and The Melting Pot. Primo’s is similar to places like Blaze: they put your pizza together in front of you and then bake it quickly. It’s worth a visit if you’re interested in something a little different.

https://www.primoslou.com/
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Indian pizza at Primo’s Pizzeria

by Robin Garr » Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:20 pm

I love Indian food. I love pizza. I'm having kind of a hard time imagining them together! But it's worth a try. Thanks, Rich!
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

by MarieP » Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:05 pm

I was just telling a friend that we should go for pizza soon! And, we both love Indian food, so I just texted him that we should try it!

A bit off the subject, but I saw a sponsored ad for a pizza place on Goose Creek Rd. called Pizzaville. They have a chili dog pizza...I don't know....could be really good....but the Indian sounds better!
no avatar
User

Rich S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:07 am

by Rich S » Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:30 pm

I just discovered that Primo’s closed Sunday, although it hopes to reopen at a different location later this year. I’m really disappointed, because I liked the place.

Does anyone know of any other restaurants that offer Indian-style pizzas? The Post had a chicken tikka masala pizza as a monthly special last year, but I don’t know if it will ever return.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:48 pm

Dang! I never got to it. :(
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

by MarieP » Fri Feb 18, 2022 3:54 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Dang! I never got to it. :(

Sorry you didn't get to- hopefully they really will reopen elsewhere (though in the current climate, I'm not holding my breath)! I tried it, and it was quite good. I didn't go back again though because I think I do prefer eating either Indian or pizza- Clay Oven or Hometown or Blaze won out!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:06 pm

Marie, I get that and feel the same way! Still, it was a curiosity that I'd have liked to try!