Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Local restaurants that got Federal funds

by Mark R. » Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:41 pm

Here's a story from business 1st: https://www.bizjournals.com/louisville/ ... 2021-07-12
Here are the top 10 for those of you who can't get to the article:
1. ANB Concessions LLC (Wendy's), $3,833,022
2. BP Lake Buena Vista LLC (Blaze Pizza), $2,832,357
3. Ladyfingers Catering Inc., $2,520,336
4. Against the Grain LLC, $1,913,270
5. Bluegrass Brewing Company Inc., $1,751,300
6. Meeks LLC (Jack Fry's), $1,709,884
7. Wild Eggs Operations LLC, $1,609,469
8. Butchertown Grocery LLC, $1,249,066
9. Wiltshire Speed LLC, $1,209,190
10. Golden Yoki Enterprise Inc., $1,109,518
It seems that some of these probably didn't need the federal support as much as a lot of other local restaurants that did who apparently didn't get money from the fund or at least didn't get much from it!
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

Re: Local restaurants that got Federal funds

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:16 am

If that ANB Concessions owns the Wendy's around town that I frequent (Breckenridge, Bardstown Rd, Poplar Level), I'm even angrier now. Dining rooms have been closed since the beginning of the pandemic, are still closed, and service times and service quality in the drive-through has been horrendous. To see that they've gotten $4 million in federal funds and have delivered less than nothing to customers for it is infuriating.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:01 pm

I think so, Jeff. ANB is Ryan Bridgeman, son of former Wendy's magnate and U of L hoops star Junior Bridgeman. Ryan took over the local Wendy's franchises from his dad a few years ago when Junior became a Coca-Cola magnate.
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:22 pm

Those figures are astounding. Had no idea. Butchertown Grocery closed several weeks ago- guess not before getting the $ 1.2MM.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:28 pm

Jay M. wrote:Those figures are astounding. Had no idea. Butchertown Grocery closed several weeks ago- guess not before getting the $ 1.2MM.

It seems excessive, but the same LLC does also own the Butchertown Grocery Bakery, which I believe remains in operation.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:52 pm

I really don’t want to hear any more boo-hooing from these restaurants about minimum wage increases.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:40 pm

ARG was another placed that was fully closed, until last month, though they did brew and have the Public House open. There are curiosities, like #10 (couldn't find it in a search) and #15 (a single location ice cream shop?). Overall, I'm glad that many indies like ATG, BBC, Mayan, Decca, Spinelli's, and others made the list, not just the big places that had legal services/financiers already in place.
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:58 pm

SilvioM wrote:ARG was another placed that was fully closed, until last month, though they did brew and have the Public House open. There are curiosities, like #10 (couldn't find it in a search) and #15 (a single location ice cream shop?). Overall, I'm glad that many indies like ATG, BBC, Mayan, Decca, Spinelli's, and others made the list, not just the big places that had legal services/financiers already in place.

Looks like Golden Yoki Enterprises is the Yoki Buffet on Alliant Drive, just off Blankenbaker. I'm guessing it's the last Chinese buffet in operation in Louisville. Any time we have a family get-together we go to a Chinese buffet, mainly because it's easier and cheaper than trying to accommodate 10 people at one of our houses. Our go-to was always Jumbo Buffet on Hurstbourne, but it looks like they're history. Several people in the family have birthdays in July, so we went to Yoki last Sunday. The place was mobbed, with a half-hour wait for a table.

This was the third time we've been to Yoki since dining restrictions were eased. The first time they gave us plastic gloves, but let us serve ourselves. The second time they had people behind the buffet dishing the food for you. This time it was no gloves and serve yourself.
Last edited by Richard S. on Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Terri Beam

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:26 pm

by Terri Beam » Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:50 pm

The Wendy's on Bardstown Road at Hurstbourne should have taken that money and fixed their credit/debit card system.

Nine times out of the last ten times I've gone there, they were taking cash only. They get the machine back up, and then it dies again (according to a drive-through worker). I'm so outdone with them, I refuse to go back.

This seems kind of silly, after how we were told a few months back that there was a shortage of paper money and change, and we were actively encouraged to use plastic.
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:08 pm

We tried to go to Wendy’s on Poplar Level for lunch today. The guy who answered the drive-through speaker said he was the only one there and it’d be 30 minutes before he could help us.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:08 pm

:shock:
no avatar
User

Terri Beam

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:26 pm

by Terri Beam » Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:16 pm

I can't say I'm surprised at Wendy's not having enough staff to open. The Fern Creek Arby's has had to either close early or open late multiple times due to lack of staff. This past Sunday they posted a sign advising they wouldn't open until 4 pm.

With Louisville Burger Week going on, I witnessed what happens in a packed restaurant with limited staff. We went to RecBar, and the place was jammed, but the kitchen was so far behind. It was taking 30 minutes or more after order taking for the kitchen to start on a particular table's ticket (heard waitstaff talking about it).

I guess we might as well get used to it. Only Chick-Fil-A seems to be bucking the trend.