Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Taqueria Los Gorditos

no avatar
User

Rich S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:07 am

Taqueria Los Gorditos

by Rich S » Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:31 am

This restaurant opened a few weeks ago at 2017 Brownsboro Road. I think it may be connected with the Los Gorditos food truck that operates (or used to operate) on La Grange Road; the logos are very similar. I know the food truck got a lot of praise in the past on HotBytes. I can’t find a website or Facebook page for the restaurant, but Yelp has a little information:

https://www.yelp.com/biz/taqueria-los-g ... louisville
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Taqueria Los Gorditos

by Robin Garr » Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:44 pm

Thanks, Rich! Two or three Mexican restaurants have tried that corner spot but had problems ... I'm pretty sure it's the place where the health department shut one down for a very "non-standard" range hood improvement. I hope this one sticks. If it's the same owners, they're good people.
no avatar
User

Rich S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:07 am

by Rich S » Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:09 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Two or three Mexican restaurants have tried that corner spot but had problems.

This isn't the spot at the corner; it's just east of the former Rally's that's becoming a convenience store. If I'm not mistaken, it's the same place that once housed I Love Sushi and Teriyaki.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:33 pm

Ah, okay, thanks Rich. Got it. I should a looked it up! :oops:
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:23 pm

I don't know for sure, but my bet would be that they are unrelated. The Las Gorditas food truck (not Los Gorditas) people opened a sitdown restaurant on Hudson Lane in Fern Creek a few years ago, but it only lasted a month or so. We ate there during that brief period and really enjoyed it. The guy who runs the register at the food truck told me they couldn't find enough bilingual people to keep it staffed.

On a side note, the location where they had opened has been the site of four or five restaurants in the 16 years I've been living in the Creek. It recently housed Four Seasons, which served Bulgarian cuisine. We only made it there once, but I think the pandemic did them in. I did see a few cars in the parking lot the other day, so maybe something will be opening there
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:05 pm

Thanks for the detail, Richard. Yes, gordita/gorditas means the kind of thick taco-like items that Las Gorditas sells. Los Gorditos doesn't refer to food as far as I know, it just means something like little chubby guys.
no avatar
User

Terri Beam

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:26 pm

by Terri Beam » Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:57 pm

Richard S. wrote:On a side note, the location where they had opened has been the site of four or five restaurants in the 16 years I've been living in the Creek. It recently housed Four Seasons, which served Bulgarian cuisine. We only made it there once, but I think the pandemic did them in. I did see a few cars in the parking lot the other day, so maybe something will be opening there

I believe I saw something on Facebook (not the actual Four Seasons' FB page) that the owner had gotten very ill in 2020, and he was apparently the one who did all the cooking. They haven't updated the page since Thanksgiving 2020.
no avatar
User

Richard Meyer

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:23 pm

by Richard Meyer » Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:09 am

There's a similarly (maybe same) named place on lower Brownsboro -- Across from Cafe Aroma. Is it connected?

I haven't been yet.
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:37 pm

Grabbed two pork and one steak tacos from Los Gorditos today, and can report the following:
- They're delicious. Both were extremely well marinated and tasty.
- They're very generously portioned. I felt like a little chubby guy myself after eating all three. :lol:
- They're good value; at three for $10, they fall in between the $2-2.50 tacos at some of the South End taquerias and the $4-5+ tacos at "fancy" taco places like Taco Luchador, Mexa, Taco Choza, Agave & Rye, etc.

Los Gorditos only accepts cash, no cards, so be prepared.

I can never figure out how to get pictures to post here, so here's a link to my picture: https://i.imgur.com/7m7SjfB.jpeg
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:05 pm

Great image, Jeff. Makes me hungry!

The primary secret to getting pictures to post here is to hold them within the rather small maximum allowed size: 800 x 800 pixel jpegs at 72 dpi is best.

But your workaround is fine, too. 8)