Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Goetta

no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

Goetta

by Richard S. » Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:17 pm

For some odd reason there have been two shows on the Cooking Channel in the past two days that mentioned goetta, both in reference to Cincinnati. I had never heard of this before, but the egg and goetta breakfast sandwich on a brioche bun looked mighty tasty. I stopped by the Kroger in Fern Creek and saw they had it, so I picked up the fixins. We'll be finding out this weekend if it's as good as it looks.

I spent my early youth in New Jersey, and my only concern is that the description of the ingredients in goetta were reminiscent of scrapple. I was up that way a few years ago and ordered scrapple in a diner to refresh my memory. It had been about 50 years since I last had it. I can wait another 50 before having it again.
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Re: Goetta

by Richard S. » Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:30 pm

As a followup, we fried some up this morning for egg-and-goetta sandwiches on brioche buns. As an amateur sausage connoisseur, I was pleasantly surprised and actually kind of disappointed that I hadn't heard of it before. It fries up crispy on the outside and has a nice moderately salty sausage taste.

On the subject of great sausage, if you haven't had the hot sausage from Jake's One Stop in Bardstown you don't know what you're missing.
no avatar
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:07 pm

Richard S. wrote:

On the subject of great sausage, if you haven't had the hot sausage from Jake's One Stop in Bardstown you don't know what you're missing.

Bar Vetti has it as an option as a pizza topping. Absolutely out of this world.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

Ray Griffith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:39 pm

Highlands

by Ray Griffith » Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:48 pm

My first was a few years ago at some hole in the wall in downtown Cincinnati. Anyway, I was promptly corrected when I asked about it because I pronounced it sounding the O. ☺️
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:15 pm

Ray Griffith wrote:My first was a few years ago at some hole in the wall in downtown Cincinnati. Anyway, I was promptly corrected when I asked about it because I pronounced it sounding the O. ☺️

I would have done the same thing! How is it pronounced?
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Richard S. » Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:30 pm

Like "getta."
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:52 pm

Gotcha.
Thanks!
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:23 pm

Richard S. wrote:Like "getta."

Possibly "Götta" in the original German?