Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

Pop Quiz: Review the Martini closest to your house

by Marsha L. » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:36 pm

the VERY closest.

Maybe you're a mile from the Oakroom but only a half-mile from Freddie's on Broadway. Or maybe you live near the Barrett Bar but closer to Lynn's Paradise Cafe. The challenge is: go to the bar closest to your home that has a martini; drink one; and post a review in this thread.

This thread was inspired by an exchange between me and my beer-nerd, Belgium-beer-loving boyfriend, during which he revealed to me: "Oh, uh....I've never actually had a martini. Not a real, traditional one."

I think it would be fun if everyone goes and has one, and reports back. I mean the Very Very closest one. Even if that's at your neighborhood Marathon Station or whatever.

:D
no avatar
User

MichelleJ

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:47 am

Highlands

by MichelleJ » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:59 pm

This is a fantastic challenge idea. I don't like Martinis at all though so I'll refrain. But now that I think of it I'm not even sure where the closet martini to me would be probably Club Grotto. Or the Left Field Lounge. I wonder if they even serve martinis at the Left Field. ;)
Consuming Louisville
very good things to do, buy & eat in the River City

http://www.consuminglouisville.com
no avatar
User

Jo Self

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:54 pm

St. Matthews

by Jo Self » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:24 pm

Just to be clear, this is for true vodka or gin martinis, correct? Love the idea...
Food is our common ground, a universal experience. - James Beard
Event Savant
Bon Vivant Savant Dining & Events Club
http://bonvivantsavant.com
http://www.bvsevents.com
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Pop Quiz: Review the Martini closest to your house

by Robin Garr » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:25 pm

Marsha L. wrote:the VERY closest.

Sort of like Michelle, I'm not really into martinis ... but the closest nice restaurant with a bar to me is Porcini, an easy walk away, and I would be amazed if they don't stir up a fine specimen.
no avatar
User

Jo Self

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:54 pm

St. Matthews

by Jo Self » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:34 pm

I'm all for the challenge, for me, it's trying to figure out which place is truly the closest tome as I'm right in the heart of St. Matts - a dozen places within a stone's throw.
Food is our common ground, a universal experience. - James Beard
Event Savant
Bon Vivant Savant Dining & Events Club
http://bonvivantsavant.com
http://www.bvsevents.com
no avatar
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:38 pm

Go to Martini's at the Summit....order a dry Bombay Saphire martini with extra gorgenzola stuffed olives. Martini heaven at a chain....
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

by MarieP » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:41 pm

I don't care for martinis either, so maybe we could do a food one to accompany it...

Like...hamburgers or fish sandwiches?
no avatar
User

NicoleC

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:09 pm

Cherokee Triangle

by NicoleC » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:05 pm

I think the closest to us is Palermo Viejo. Gin martini up with 3 olives is excellent - cold and stiff -- what else could you ask for?

The Cosmopolitan (up) is also excellent. Just a hint of pink -- more vodka than cranberry.

I'll do an assessment of our 'hood to see if that's actually the closest...
no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:38 pm

by Linda C » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:11 pm

I was 6 years old when I had my first martini. I thought my Dad was drinking ginger ale and wondered why it had an olive in it. He told me that it was a German ginger ale. I proceeded to take a huge slug of it and promptly sprayed it all over Dad. I've never had one since and don't plan on it. I have a similar story for Scotch. Give me some nice vino....
no avatar
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:16 pm

The Place: Club Grotto (tossup between that and Dundee Tavern)

The Request: Hendricks Gin martini ordered up with olives.

The Glass: Kind of a thick stemmed, thick rimmed, run-of-the-mill martini glass. It was pulled from a refrigerated case, so the standard protocol of filling the glass with ice and water to let it chill while mixing the drink was not followed.

The Drink: Shaken, not stirred. Probably could have been shaken a little longer but served appropriately icy cold with small bits of ice floating in the drink. The garnish was two large, pimiento-stuffed green olives skewered on a standard brown toothpick.

The Price: $6.75

The Venue: I was the only patron at the bar. The bartender was friendly and talkative, and extra points for that. He pointed out their new bar menu that includes salads, soups, three or four sandwiches (burger, walleye fish, and chicken piccata), and a hot brown. These are reasonably priced and an alternative as a weeknight dinner at CG without dropping north of $100.

That was fun, Marsha L. - give me another assignment. :)

(Where's Susan Riegler?????)
no avatar
User

MichelleJ

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:47 am

Highlands

by MichelleJ » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:56 pm

Jay we should have coordinated and rendezvoused at Club Grotto! I still wouldn't have ordered a martini but I would have enjoyed watching you enjoy yours.
Consuming Louisville
very good things to do, buy & eat in the River City

http://www.consuminglouisville.com
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:08 pm

Okay. mine is too easy:

Go to Martini's at the Summit....order a dry Bombay Saphire martini with extra gorgenzola stuffed olives. Martini heaven at a chain....

My closest martini place is Martini's at the Summit, unless Graeters now serves them...

This will be a good excuse for Brian to drink (he's the martini guy in our house). He's had a very tough week ( and it's only Tuesday) so I'm guessing he'll be thanking Marsha for the assignment.

Deb
no avatar
User

Eric M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:39 am

ye old germantown

by Eric M » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:38 pm

living by frankfort ave i have many choices here but i have to say varanese is a rock's throw away and their "valentino" martini is incredible...might have started at proof on main though...
no avatar
User

Jessica H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:25 pm

Crescent Hill

by Jessica H » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:42 pm

My closest martini is Asiatique and the crew up their knows that I'm a loyal fan. I'm particularly fond of some of their specialty martinis such as the Pamapolitan and the Mango Gimlet. Can't go wrong with their Ginger martini either.
Jessica Haskell
Owner
Sweet Surrender Dessert Cafe
http://www.sweetsurrenderdessertcafe.com
no avatar
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:01 pm

MichelleJ wrote:Jay we should have coordinated and rendezvoused at Club Grotto! I still wouldn't have ordered a martini but I would have enjoyed watching you enjoy yours.

Yup, sounds like we're neighbors!
Next