Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Paris Banh Mi and Bakery

no avatar
User

Rich S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:07 am

Paris Banh Mi and Bakery

by Rich S » Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:13 am

Paris Banh Mi hopes to open this summer at 1237 Bardstown Road, in the same building as La Bamba. The menu includes 10 kinds of banh mi, along with a wide variety of pastries and drinks. The restaurant is part of a very small Florida-based chain. I suspect each location has a different owner, since the menus vary a little from place to place. It seems like an interesting concept.

https://www.facebook.com/Paris-Banh-Mi- ... 325511684/

https://parisbanhmibakerylouisville.com/
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Paris Banh Mi and Bakery

by Robin Garr » Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:51 pm

Whoa! Good catch, Rich. I'd definitely try that.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:08 pm

Certainly sounds interesting, definitely will have to try it after it opens.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:15 pm

This looks promising and much needed. I look forward to trying it.
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

Rich S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:07 am

by Rich S » Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:55 am

Paris Banh Mi says it will open Sept. 15.

It occurred to me recently that this place is a lot like DaLat’s Gateaux and Cafe on Southside Drive, which serves banh mi and milk tea in addition to its baked goods.
no avatar
User

Terri Beam

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:26 pm

by Terri Beam » Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:58 pm

My fiance is excited because he can get bubble tea there and an enormous burrito at La Bamba at the same time, since they are in the same building. Maybe once he tastes banh mi, he'll change his mind.
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:34 pm

I just realized I’ve eaten at a branch of this place in Cincinnati. I had a pork banh mi with fragrant pork, some hot jalapeño slices and nice pickled veg, and a tea that had poppable boba balls filled with lychee juice. It was a very intense and delicious lunch for a reasonable price. Glad this place is coming to town.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:37 pm

Can't wait!
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:53 pm

I stopped by this afternoon. The place looks great. It is large, open and roomy, and is of a chic, modern, reductionist décor. The pastries look great with the croissant and Danish styles displayed in glass cases in the dining area, and cakes, tarts and others in a case along the counter. I ordered a Banh Mi Combination. It was $7,95, a bit more expensive than the other banh mis (it was still inexpensive). It was very good---fresh crusty baguette, sliced charcuterie, pickled vegetables, pate and butter spreads. It was a delightful blend of flavors and textures. It was also a nice size sandwich......... this place is a touch of class with a cool, roomy interior and tasty foods and beverages that are ordered by counter top. A great addition to the Highlands!
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

Nathaniel C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:50 pm

by Nathaniel C » Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:29 pm

A friend and I stopped by this afternoon. We both really like this place. The shredded chicken banh mi was amazing. I got a creme brulee bubble tea and thought it was a little strong on the tea and light on the creme, but take that with a grain of salt, as boba tea isn't really my thing. I also picked up a creme brulee madeline pastry and some sweet and spicy chicken jerky, both of which were outstanding. The pastries behind the counter, such as red velvet cake and cheesecake, also looked amazing, and they have ice cream. I would definitely go back there.
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:07 pm

I also had the chicken today and it was really good — maybe not Stevens & Stevens level, but a notch above other local places, and at a good price, will surely return. My only issue is that they don’t have any sides — pastries, deserter, and tea, but no rice, veggie bowl, or even a bag of chips. I’ll get carryout and have a side from home, I guess, sandwich is still good.

I’ll also note that the first time I went was a Tuesday and they were closed. That is their regular day off, worth noting since it isn’t a common day that restaurants close.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:25 am

SilvioM wrote:I’ll also note that the first time I went was a Tuesday and they were closed. That is their regular day off, worth noting since it isn’t a common day that restaurants close.

Silvio, that prompted me to think, always a dangerous thing. Oriental House closes on Tuesdays also, and Vietnam Kitchen famously closed Wednesdays. I imagine all three being Asian is just a coincidence, but I do wonder if it's a strategy to capture refugees from the many restaurants closed on Mondays, then giving staff a different day off early in the week.