Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

The restaurant critic ponders the new normal

by Robin Garr » Wed May 26, 2021 7:31 am

The restaurant critic ponders the new normal

Irish Rover set up a tent on its parking ot when outdoor dining resumed in May 2020.

Slowly, gradually, with some stutter steps, Louisville’s restaurant scene, like the nation’s, is edging back toward normal, and I for one am delighted to see that.

But even with widespread vaccination and declining positivity rates that mean many of us are pocketing our masks much of the time, it’s a new kind of normal. Some restaurants have been lost. A few new ones have arrived. Takeout, delivery, even curbside service seem likely to stick as more frequent options than ever before.

Meanwhile, a lot of eateries are reporting serious difficulty hiring enough servers and cooks, and these shortages are showing up in reduced menus and, on occasion, slow service. Nobody likes that! The notion that folks are staying home on the state’s limited unemployment payment is a pile of steaming bovine excrement, but it’s a fact that some former restaurant workers have found better paying work with more comfortable hours elsewhere, and some of them aren’t coming back.

Quite a few longtime restaurant patrons, too –vaccination to the contrary notwithstanding – remain wary about going back inside a restaurant for an indulgent sit-down dinner.

So it’s an optimistic but still bumpy scene for diners, restaurant workers, and restaurant owners too. But how about the restaurant critic? What’s different over here, and does anybody care? ...

Read the complete article on LouisvilleHotBytes,
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/resta ... new-normal
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

Re: The restaurant critic ponders the new normal

by Carla G » Wed May 26, 2021 9:05 am

Not to blow sunshine up your skirt but, after COVID came into full swing, your postings, which had to adapt to circumstances, were what was needed/useful. On more than one occasion I said,”There! That’s what I need to know.”
So, thanks for that. Your intuition has served you (and us) well. :D
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed May 26, 2021 9:07 am

Awwww! :oops:

Thanks, Carla, and oops, I just remembered a small chore I need to do ... off to resize some photos!
no avatar
User

Mike L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:58 am

by Mike L » Thu May 27, 2021 3:58 pm

Where is the article about best burgers in town? :)

I think you can fulfill the role of telling people about great restaurants without having to criticize the ones who are struggling.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu May 27, 2021 4:04 pm

Here ya go, Mike! :mrgreen: This was actually my contribution to a larger LEO Weekly burger issue, but it's burgerish for sure.
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/secrets-burger-chefs

You're right about easing off on places that are struggling. No need for that during the Covid mess.
no avatar
User

Mike L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:58 am

by Mike L » Fri May 28, 2021 6:09 pm

Thanks Robin! FWIW, we've eaten out quite a bit the past 6 weeks or so. Haven't had a bad experience yet. Most places, the service and food was better than before the pandemic. I thought restaurants would have trouble maintaining quality due to all the new regulations but that doesn't seem to be the case.
no avatar
User

Nathaniel C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:50 pm

by Nathaniel C » Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:51 pm

Mike L wrote:Where is the article about best burgers in town? :)

And the current ratio of pizza to taco restaurants! :D

Was talking to one of the BTs at Mojito in Havana this afternoon, asking whether they were busy this weekend after being at full capacity, and he said something about the outdoor seating. I realized they had no outdoor seating before and said something like, "oh, wait, you have more tables now than you did before COVID!" Hope this turns out to be a silver lining for many restaurants.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:53 pm

For the record, I did both of those stories within the past few years. Yeah, the pizza-taco ration might have changed a little, but I imagine tacos are still winning by a few paces.
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:38 pm

Robin Garr wrote:For the record, I did both of those stories within the past few years. Yeah, the pizza-taco ration might have changed a little, but I imagine tacos are still winning by a few paces.

it would be interesting to actually see the ratio between those two. I couldn't even begin to guess what it would be. Of course on top of the places that are strictly tacos and pizzas you have to include the places that have both those items on their menus. Places like Panera etc. have recently started doing pizzas so that might change the tide a little bit.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:01 am

Here's what I wrote in 2018, Mark. I don't think I counted places that don't really specialize.

Some time during recent months, pushed by the arrival of the excellent taquerias Taco City in the Highlands and Taco Choza in St. Matthews, the metro area quietly, without any publicity, achieved full taco.

What’s that, you ask? Simple. The numbers are a little vague, but by my best count, hungry Louisvillians now have at least 65 locally owned, independent places to buy tacos, surpassing the roughly 60-plus local pizzerias. ...
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/taco-city-taco-choza