Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Jasmine Asian Bistro offers first-rate Chinese fare

by Robin Garr » Wed May 19, 2021 8:47 am

Jasmine Asian Bistro offers first-rate Chinese fare

Twice-cooked tofu, a Sichuanese dish, presents tender tofu crisp-fried and bathed in spice.

If you’ve got a hankering for Chinese food, you can take comfort in this statistic: According to the trade journal Chinese Restaurant News, there were more than 43,000 independent Chinese restaurants in the United States in 2019.

The pandemic has surely seen closures, but still, that was triple the 13,443 U.S. McDonald’s locations in 2021. I’d much rather have a bowl of Jasmine Asian Bistro’s Sichuanese cucumber salad than a Big Mac anyway.

Still, when we parse that 43,000 tally, the number of really first-rate Chinese sit-down restaurants does start to shrink. There are the old-school Chinese-American spots that go all the way back to the Gold Rush, specializing in culturally blended dishes that immigrant restaurateurs developed to make the locals happy: chop suey, chow mein, and egg foo yung.

You’ve got the more modern neighborhood Chinese – there’s one next door to just about every supermarket in town – a vast menu that seems the same everywhere, designed primarily for takeout. There’s a ton of Chinese buffets, although buffet dining took a pounding during the pandemic.

Finally, we come down to a handful of comfortable, sit-down Chinese restaurants with table service, a comprehensive menu that covers the basics of the Chinese canon, and ideally an English-language “authentic Chinese” menu that offers mysterious yet strangely enticing items like Hong Shao whole yellow croaker or, wait for it, intestine with tofu hot pot.

By the time we get to this final category, we’re down to just a handful of candidates locally; and Jasmine Asian Bistro tops my list right now. Sibling of the larger Jasmine Szechwan Chinese Cuisine in the far East End, it’s my go-to when I’m hankering for a serious Chinese meal.

That hankering has mostly had to be satisfied by takeout, of course, since Jasmine Bistro opened in its Lime Kiln Lane shopping center space just a few months before the pandemic closed local eateries to dining in. So I was doubly happy the other day to take a seat in a comfortable, enclosed booth well removed from other tables.

The extensive menu includes about 220 Chinese dishes, including about 90 in the “Chinese authentic” section; it’s tilted toward the spicy fare of China’s Sichuan region but goes beyond to include other regional favorites. There are also about 60 sushi options including rolls and nigiri sushi bites and combo platters. ...

Read the complete article on LouisvilleHotBytes,
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/jasmi ... ro-chinese

You'll also find this review in LEO Weekly's Food & Drink section today.
http://www.leoweekly.com/category/food-drink/

Jasmine Asian Bistro
2420 Lime Kiln Lane
618-3000
http://jasmineasianbistroky.com
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

Re: Jasmine Asian Bistro offers first-rate Chinese fare

by Andrew Mellman » Wed May 19, 2021 4:08 pm

Our favorite there is the twice cooked fish! Looks very similar to the tofu you had, but the tofu was replaced by filets of fresh fish!

Actually, everything we've had from the "authentic" menu has been worth re-ordering!
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed May 19, 2021 5:16 pm

Andrew Mellman wrote:Our favorite there is the twice cooked fish! Looks very similar to the tofu you had, but the tofu was replaced by filets of fresh fish!

Actually, everything we've had from the "authentic" menu has been worth re-ordering!

They also do twice-cooked pork, with I think is the Sichuanese original. It's all good, though.
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Wed May 19, 2021 6:05 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Andrew Mellman wrote:Our favorite there is the twice cooked fish! Looks very similar to the tofu you had, but the tofu was replaced by filets of fresh fish!

They also do twice-cooked pork, with I think is the Sichuanese original. It's all good, though.

I definitely agree the twice-cooked pork is excellent!
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Thu May 20, 2021 3:04 pm

I looked through the "authentic Japanese menu" and found one unusual item. "White Castle roll" :roll:
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu May 20, 2021 5:50 pm

That's a reference to the historic White Heron castle in Himeji, Japan. Not to the aluminum palace. :?

https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3501.html
no avatar
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve Shade » Thu May 20, 2021 7:19 pm

Robin Garr wrote:That's a reference to the historic White Heron castle in Himeji, Japan. Not to the aluminum palace. :?

https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3501.html

Damn .. no little sushi hamburgers/w onions.
-- Ann Landers
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu May 20, 2021 9:21 pm

Mary and I actually visited the White Heron castle in Himeji, the largest city of more than a million that nobody ever heard of. It's really impressive, full samurai. (Click the link in my post above for pictures.)
no avatar
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve Shade » Fri May 28, 2021 11:00 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Mary and I actually visited the White Heron castle in Himeji, the largest city of more than a million that nobody ever heard of. It's really impressive, full samurai. (Click the link in my post above for pictures.)

Very cool.
-- Ann Landers