Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Lexington’s Malones opening huge eatery and bar here

by Robin Garr » Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:15 pm

In the East End Paddock Shops in June.

https://www.wdrb.com/news/malones-openi ... ead%20more
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

Re: Lexington’s Malones opening huge eatery and bar here

by James Natsis » Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:40 am

18,000 sq. ft. That's a lot of terrain.

Sounds like a great addition to the area. Has anyone been to the Lexington location?
James J. Natsis
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:47 am

James Natsis wrote:18,000 sq. ft. That's a lot of terrain.

Sounds like a great addition to the area. Has anyone been to the Lexington location?

I have not been, but I'd love to hear from those who have. You're right about the size, though. I wonder what it will take to staff it up given the current restaurant employment issues.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

by James Natsis » Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:46 pm

Looking at 230 employees. They may have to lure some new folks into town. This is an ambitious project, indeed. However, I think they are in the right place for such an endeavor:

"The hiring center next to Malone's is bigger than many restaurants as they try to find more than 230 full- and part-time employees."
James J. Natsis
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:35 pm

Malone's is good. But I'd rather see them bring their OBC Kitchen concept here!
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Sat May 01, 2021 11:26 pm

They like putting multiple restaurants in same location, and switch employees (and liquor, food, ingredients, et al) back and forth as/if necessary. Here they are just across the parking lot from Drakes!

Given Malone's reputation and familiarity with anyone who went to UK or spent time in Lexington, I wonder if Stoney River will make it competing with with Malone's? To me they are similar positioning, good mid-level steakhouses with heavy bar programs. Maybe Stoney River is more wine forward and Malone's more hard liquor, but very similar.
Andrew Mellman
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Sun May 02, 2021 7:11 pm

Andrew Mellman wrote:They like putting multiple restaurants in same location, and switch employees (and liquor, food, ingredients, et al) back and forth as/if necessary. Here they are just across the parking lot from Drakes!

Given Malone's reputation and familiarity with anyone who went to UK or spent time in Lexington, I wonder if Stoney River will make it competing with Malone's? To me, they are similar positioning, good mid-level steakhouses with heavy bar programs. Maybe Stoney River is more wine forward and Malone's more hard liquor, but very similar.

Our family has enjoyed many fine dinners at Malones in Lexington. It hits the halfway point between Morgan County, KY, and Oldham County. The food and service at Malones far surpass Stoney River, especially in the last few years as Stoney River seemed to position itself as much less formal in food and service. Food quality has taken a huge tumble at Stoney River, leaving us to wonder if they haven't been the victim of some venture capital shenanigans. Stoney River should be worried.
no avatar
User

Rich S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:07 am

by Rich S » Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:48 pm

Malone's will open next Tuesday (June 29). They posted a video on Facebook last week showing the interior, and it's absolutely immense. I was amused at their reference to "a retractable rooftop restaurant and bar"; I'd really like to see that.

https://www.facebook.com/MalonesLouisville/
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:14 pm

I wonder if they are going to change the names of some of the many items for the restaurant here in Louisville? Having all of their signature menu items named after UK coaches and players probably won't go over as well with many people in Louisville.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:02 pm

Mark R. wrote:I wonder if they are going to change the names of some of the many items for the restaurant here in Louisville? Having all of their signature menu items named after UK coaches and players probably won't go over as well with many people in Louisville.

Well, I can say this: Anything called "Pitino" will turn off fans of both persuasions. :lol:
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:52 pm

Steve Eslinger wrote:
Mark R. wrote:I wonder if they are going to change the names of some of the many items for the restaurant here in Louisville? Having all of their signature menu items named after UK coaches and players probably won't go over as well with many people in Louisville.

Well, I can say this: Anything called "Pitino" will turn off fans of both persuasions. :lol:

I do certainly agree about that but I was thinking things along the line of Danny Crum, Paul Hornung, Lamar Jackson, etc. I really think I need to have at least several of their signature dishes named after sports personalities in Louisville instead of all from UK, you could even have one named after Mohammed Ali.

no avatar
User

Rich S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:07 am

by Rich S » Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:02 pm

It does look like they've eliminated the UK names from the Louisville menu. For example, in Lexington you can order The Randall Cobb (a 12-ounce bone-in filet for $60). In Louisville, that becomes just "Bone-in Filet" and costs $59.99. There's no sign of University of Louisville names on the menu, though.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:50 pm

Rich S wrote:Malone's will open next Tuesday (June 29). They posted a video on Facebook last week showing the interior, and it's absolutely immense. I was amused at their reference to "a retractable rooftop restaurant and bar"; I'd really like to see that.

https://www.facebook.com/MalonesLouisville/

I just looked at their menu for the Louisville restaurant and saw that. I'm surprised they didn't at least name a couple of them after you fill sports figures.

Some of their pricing doesn't make a lot of sense, a 16 ounce boneless ribeye is $47.99 but a 19 ounce bone-in ribeye is $69.99? Considering they both probably have about the same amount of meat $22 for a bone sounds awful expensive! Well sometimes I think meet with bone-in is more flavorful it certainly isn't worth that kind of premium price.

no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

by James Natsis » Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:21 pm

We were invited to a birthday party at Malones last Saturday evening. I wasn't too thrilled since I reinstated my vegetarian status about 2 months ago and steakhouses don't bode well with me.

I had previously done a walkthru a few months ago to see what it was like inside. It is kind of like a small hotel with an escalator and various dining areas and reception rooms. The place is majestic yet both exuding a formal steakhouse ambiance along with a less formal Harry's sports bar gig.

We were part of a party of about 30 well-attired adults tucked into small private room upstairs. The whole place was packed and it was difficult to get a parking spot even given the size of the Paddocks since it seemed that the entire shopping complex was jamming. In spite of the shear volume, we were well taken care of and to my pleasant surprise, they was a wonderful Mediterranean pasta dish offered among the select menu items. The service was spot on and the food was very well done even down to the quality of the bread and seasoned butter. The carrot cake was even a cut above. All the other food items, including my wife's salmon, side orders and other food I could observe looked good.

Credit given where credit deserved. And quite frankly, the place is an asset to the Louisville collection of eateries---all 20,000 sq ft of it!.
James J. Natsis