Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

We scream, do you scream, for ice not-cream?

by Robin Garr » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:03 am

We scream, do you scream, for ice not-cream?

Three scoops ready for taste testing: Clockwise from the top, Graeter's chocolate chip, Greater's Perfect Indulgence vegan chocolate chip, and So Delicious Dairy Free coconut milk mint chocolate chip.

I’m not vegan, although I can see the argument against industrially produced dairy products, and I don’t even like milk. It would be hard for me to give up favorites like artisanal cheeses, pastured eggs, and ice cream, though.

But that ice-cream thing may be changing. The other day I noticed a case at Graeter’s promoting its new line of Graeter’s-branded Perfect Indulgence Vegan ice cream, animal free and lactose free in assorted flavors at $7.99 for a pint.

A little research revealed that, in a process akin to that of the meatless Impossible Burger, Perfect Indulgence developed a way to make real milk proteins – whey and casein – without the presence of animals. In brief, the company developed a type of microflora that can ferment simple plant ingredients to produce the same dairy proteins found in milk.

The result, in my opinion, speaks for itself. Tasted alongside a scoop of Graeter’s regular chocolate chip French pot ice cream ($5.99 for a pint), it was almost impossible for me to tell which was which. Perfect Indulgence melted a little faster than regular Graeter’s, with the happy effect of making it seem even more creamy.

Just for fun, we threw in a scoop of a more traditional vegan ice cream, SO Delicious Mint Chip Coconut milk Non-Dairy Frozen Dessert ($4.69 a pint at Kroger). The subtle mint flavor singled it out, but as an ice-cream type dessert, it was delicious, too. I’d happily enjoy any of the three.

Graeter's Ice Cream
140 Breckenridge Lane
896-9952
http://graeters.com/stores/retail-store ... stmatthews

Read the complete article on LouisvilleHotBytes,
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/screa ... -not-cream

You'll also find this review in LEO Weekly's Food & Drink section today.
http://www.leoweekly.com/category/food-drink/
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: We scream, do you scream, for ice not-cream?

by Mark R. » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:12 pm

We certainly agree that they have some of the best ice cream around. Just an FYI they have many locations in the Louisville area which I'm listing below:
Fern Creek
6509 Bardstown Road, 40291

Highlands Douglass Loop
2204 Bardstown Road, 40205

New Albany
4310 Charlestown Road, 47150

Landis Lakes
13817 English Villa Drive, 40245

Springhurst
9430 Brownsboro Road, 40241

St. Matthews
140 Breckenridge Lane, 40207