Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Common Haus coming to Jeffersonville

by Robin Garr » Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:03 pm

Posted on social media by host Roger Baylor:

https://www.rogerbaylor.com/2021/03/30/ ... rsonville/
no avatar
User

Rich S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:07 am

Re: Common Haus coming to Jeffersonville

by Rich S » Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:25 pm

Common Haus is an interesting concept, and the area could use another German restaurant, with good German beer. That building (134 Spring St. in Jeffersonville) used to be Goodwood Brewhouse and Live Room before a fire in February 2020. Goodwood had hoped to reopen last spring, according to a Business First story at the time, but I guess the pandemic interfered with that and the brewery dropped its plans.
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:32 pm

Count me excited. I'm a fan all 'round. I love German food and beer and I've always been a fan of Roger's ventures (I still remember Bank Street's Croque Madame). Plus, you have to appreciate a committed anti-fascist. :D
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:10 am

As recently as about 5-6 yrs ago, I had hardly even been to Jeffersonville much less eaten there. In the past few years, a walk across the Big Four Bridge on a nice afternoon or evening is a top agenda item when entertaining out-of-town guests. It is an impressive activity from the Waterfront Park on the South Side, to the crossing of the bridge, to the walking ambiance around the area, and the abundant eating options increasing by the season. The Common Haus proposal sounds awesome and so apropos to that building. I would especially like to see a tent outside selling brats to eat in front or for a continued walk.
James J. Natsis
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Sun May 29, 2022 7:42 am

We visited Common Haus last night. It would be an evening of experiencing new things. I haven't been to Southern Indiana in forever dispite the fact that it's RIGHT THERE on the other side of the river. The area around Common Haus was charming and kinda retro, leaving us to ask, "Why haven't we visited up here more often?" The haus itself was really nifty located in a thoughtfully refurbished old mercantile building of some sort (there were some stairs but we loved the charm). We ordered at the bar from a young man that was...I dunno how to say it except that he was very nice, friendly and helpful with an easy charm that made us feel welcome and at ease. We ordered a variety of dishes and shared. Mostly because I had no experience with German food at all and wanted to try as much as possible. Turns out, I'm not the biggest fan. The sauerbraten was very good and fork tender but a bit too gingery for me. Perfectly prepared however. The shared pretzel was very good (very good!) and while I didn't really care for the spaetzle (I prefer a softer variety of dumpling) my friends loved it. (shrugs) Every beer we had was great. We sat outside for our meal and the rooftop ambiance was ideal. But for me the real stars (and I can't stress this enough) were the staff members. And I think that may be one of the hardest things for a restaurant to assemble. Every single emplyee we came into contact with was warm and welcoming, generous with information and help. We were made to feel like guests without thinking we were either an imposition or that we had stumbled upon an assembly of Stepford wives. So the bottom line is I will definately return (and look forward to doing so) and keep ordering other dishes until I find my "thing". Many thanks to Common Haus for having us as patrons. :D
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Tue May 31, 2022 7:59 am

Thanks, Carla.
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana