Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Tasty Tikka House takeout requires some assembly

by Robin Garr » Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:57 am

Tasty Tikka House takeout requires some assembly

Plate your Tikka House lunch pack on your own tableware, and suddenly you're dining Indian-style.

You might not think that Indian food is anything like pizza. Right? But in these strange times when takeout and delivery dominate the pandemic dining scene, dishes from a quality Indian eatery like Tikka House have one important thing in common with pizza: They taste good hot or cold, and they take well to reheating.

So when I was in the mood for a delicious Indian lunch that would travel well this week, Tikka House filled the bill.

Offering a good mix of regional Indian cuisines, Tikka House's chef reliably gets spices right, hitting every note in the flavor symphony that is Indian cooking at its best. I’ve never found a dull, muddy dish here; these flavors pop and sizzle. They also handle Indian breads impressively.

Tikka House cemented the deal for me this time with a lunch special featured on the takeout menu: Lunch packs – full meals including starter, two curry dishes, rice, naan bread and an Indian dessert – listed at a tempting $8.99 for a veggie lunch pack, $9.99 for non-veg, an amusingly veggie-centric way of designating the pack with meat in it.

At that point I hit a few bumps in the road, none serious enough to detract from the pleasure of a delicious, affordable meal that provided enough food to last for two days. Once I got it.

First, I bumped over a technical challenge: The website appeared to be permanently down. Uh oh. The Facebook page had no obvious link to a menu or ordering page. Google, always there in a pinch, linked me to working page for pickup or delivery.

That worked, sort of. The online ordering form wouldn’t take orders until 12:30, and I didn’t want to wait, so I phoned Tikka House and reached a friendly person with a bit of a language barrier. We got through it, I placed my order for one of each lunch and some extra Indian breads, and headed over.

When I got there at the scheduled time, though, the kitchen apparently hadn’t started on my order. When it finally came out. I was surprised to discover that the $8.99 and $9.99 prices had risen three bucks each to $11.99 and $12.99. Hmm. “Menu old,” the friendly person behind the counter explained. “It’s on your online ordering menu,” I objected. “Online different,” they said.

All right, whatever. The bags were so huge, and the food was so good, it was clear that I was getting value at any price. And in fairness, it appeared that we got three entrees rather than the two that the menu offered. Fair deal.

Next time, though, I’ll skip the packaged meals and order from the extensive menu, which (in the online version) are mostly priced between $10 and $15. ...

Read the complete article on LouisvilleHotBytes,
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/tikka-house-takeout

You'll also find this review in LEO Weekly's Food & Drink section today.
http://www.leoweekly.com/category/food-drink/

Tikka House
3930 Chenoweth Square
749-4535
http://tikkahouselouisville.com
Facebook: http://bit.ly/TikkaHouse
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

Re: Tasty Tikka House takeout requires some assembly

by James Natsis » Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:08 pm

Robin,
I look forward to welcoming you and many others into the "Double Vaccination Club" where life and indoor dining meet!
Hang in there and hopefully we'll soon be talking about covid-era takeout escapades in past tenses!
James J. Natsis
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:40 pm

From your lips to Lord Quetzalcoatl's ears, James, assuming that winged serpent deities even have ears. 8)
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

by James Natsis » Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:15 am

Robin Garr wrote:From your lips to Lord Quetzalcoatl's ears, James, assuming that winged serpent deities even have ears. 8)

From one Mesoamerican mythical legend to one Louisvillian contemporary food legend----I think he senses the magnitude of his mission!
James J. Natsis
User

Ron H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:10 pm

by Ron H » Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:57 pm

If you ever want to veer away from traditional Indian fare, I really like Tikka House's Nepalese selections "from the Himalaya". The sukuti sadeko I got on a whim the first time we ordered from there, and it is really interesting. It's not smothered in gravy, but finished with lime juice. It's hard not to get it when I get Tikka House.
"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2000 of something." - Mitch Hedberg
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:53 pm

Good advice, Ron. Thanks!
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:29 pm

Looks good, tried to check out the menu, but I had a problem with their website. The one linked here didn’t go to anything. Their Facebook page has a different website address, but I got a security alert when I clicked on that one. Could be an issue with my browser, not sure, would like to know if anyone else had success.
User

Jerry C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:33 am

Buechel

by Jerry C » Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:00 pm

I tried their website after Robin posted the review...NOPE!
no avatar
User

Rich S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:07 am

by Rich S » Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:03 pm

This is the website I used last summer and fall to order from Tikka House, and it worked fine.

https://mymozo.com/myrestaurant/default?CompanyId=355

At some point I saw a different online order site for Tikka House and started to wonder if myMozo was really the correct site, so I switched to calling in my order. If anybody tries myMozo, I'd be curious to hear how it goes.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:29 pm

No, the website is definitely sketchy, and the FB page hasn't been updated for a really long time. They just aren't good at communication, but the food is good enough to be worth the effort.
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:29 pm

Thanks for the info, will swing by and order in person instead of relying on any site. I see your point about not updating their FB, as the first time I checked it last week, I saw a "closed until April 15" as the first message. Appears that was for 2020! They have since taken it down.
no avatar
User

Nathaniel C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:50 pm

by Nathaniel C » Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:18 am

Thanks for the pointers. I ordered a few items from Tikka House via DoorDash about a month ago. I really liked the vegetable samosa and vegetable samosa starters, and the chili garlic naan. I also ordered chicken fried rice, and although the portion was really generous, it didn't seem to have a lot of chicken in it, and was fairly bland and dry.

I'll probably try it again, but Shalimar is still my favorite Indian restaurant in the area.
Last edited by Nathaniel C on Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

by James Natsis » Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:25 pm

Nathaniel C wrote:.

I'll probably try it again, but Shalimar is still my favorite Indian restaurant in the area.

Now that buffets are on hold, I've been doing thali platters. Shalimar and Dakshin both have very good thalis. They both have good variety and are abundant enough to take half of it home!

Another note on Shalimar: I've been a patron of their buffet for many years. The place is so consistent, the buffet food has good variety, is always good, and looks fresh. The waiters are dressed nicely and circulate much like in a fine dining establishment. When I went there a few months ago when they were just reopening and I was almost the only person inside, they hadn't missed a beat.
The place is a class act!
James J. Natsis
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:26 pm

Shalimar is our favorite, too. We've gotten takeout from Tikka House several times during the pandemic since it's close to us, and it's been okay but hit or miss. Our last order included some significantly underbaked naan, which pushed us back to making the trek out to Shalimar.

Edit to add: We decided to dine in at Shalimar a couple weeks ago, and it was so empty at dinnertime on a Friday night that we could scarcely have been more socially distanced if we'd been in our own dining room! :lol:
User

Joel F

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:21 pm

by Joel F » Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:52 pm

just an fyi

what a difference a few weeks make: the facebook page is updated and has full contact details

the website is working: https://tikkahouseindianrestaurant.com/
Next