Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

Re: Maya Bagel Express

by GaryF » Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:46 am

FWIW- Gourmet Provisions gets a supply of NYC H&H Bagels every Wednesday.
Boy, with this discussion I sure wish I was eating carbs!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:16 am

Jay M. wrote:Has anyone made bagels at home? Recipe in The Bread Bible has me intrigued and so I intend to buy some “Non-Diastatic Malt Powder” from King Arthur. Apparently, that’s a key ingredient. Will use LWC water.

I made some years ago using Bernard Clayton's bread book. They were a lot of work, they were small but good, and probably too much trouble to make again. :)
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:49 am

I think a major part of the appeal of the bagels found in New York is just the fact that you're in New York when eating them. Kind of like how Italian food tastes just a bit different when there's a poster of Frank Sinatra's mugshot on the wall.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:01 pm

Good theory, Rich. That certainly applies to drinking wine in Europe! But I dunno ... I spent summers in New York as a teen-ager and lived there for the first half of the '90s. I think I. soaked up enough of the culture to get over the "special occasion" thing. But I still think NYC bagels are distinctive.
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:59 pm

Really like Bernard Claytons bread book!

GG
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:49 pm

It was a classic! Still is, although I've moved on to Peter Reinhart for most of my bread making.
no avatar
User

Rich S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:07 am

by Rich S » Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:16 pm

Maya Bagel Express opened this week at 3029 Poplar Level Road, just down the street from Norton Audubon Hospital. I'm looking forward to checking their bagels out.

https://www.mayabagelexpress.com/
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:50 pm

Rich S wrote:Maya Bagel Express opened this week at 3029 Poplar Level Road, just down the street from Norton Audubon Hospital. I'm looking forward to checking their bagels out.

https://www.mayabagelexpress.com/

Thanks for the heads-up. Just picked up some Shuckman’s nova, so I’ll give it a try this week!
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:24 pm

Jay M. wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:Living in NYC, even for just four or five years, has really spoiled me for bagels. I don't think anyplace in town has ever hit the target.

Has anyone made bagels at home? Recipe in The Bread Bible has me intrigued and so I intend to buy some “Non-Diastatic Malt Powder” from King Arthur. Apparently, that’s a key ingredient. Will use LWC water.

If you're going to King Arthur, check out their recipe for bagels! If I remember, it's pretty good (although more work than I like to do). Also, if you subscribe to Cook's they had a recipe around 3-4 issues ago (and available on-line) that was very straightforward (even with a lot of work).
Andrew Mellman
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:50 pm

Andrew Mellman wrote:
Jay M. wrote:If you're going to King Arthur, check out their recipe for bagels! If I remember, it's pretty good (although more work than I like to do). Also, if you subscribe to Cook's they had a recipe around 3-4 issues ago (and available on-line) that was very straightforward (even with a lot of work).

A friend of ours tried their recipe from King Arthur and bought all the ingredients from them that they said you need. To put it mildly those bagels were no better than what you can buy many place locally and in many ways not even as good. While mixing the dough is relatively easy the boiling etc. makes it a tedious process! I'm sure the Cook's recipe may be easier to put together but if you're doing it the true "New York" way Still going to be a long and tedious process. I keep hoping that Louisville will get a really good bagel spot. I've even tried having them Overnighted in from New York but....
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:24 pm

I look forward to hearing from Robin once he gets a chance to do a fair assessment of the place---formally or informally.
James J. Natsis
User

Michele Janosek

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:08 pm

Douglass Hills

by Michele Janosek » Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:23 pm

Definitely going to check this place out in the next week. Hubby and I rely on friends to bring us real bagels when they come to visit, or we order from our favorite place in Queens (Utopia Bagels) on Goldbelly. Hoping this one hits the mark!
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

Re: Maya Bagel Expres

by SilvioM » Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:01 pm

I picked up some today at noon, very crowded. I liked them quite a bit, great favors, but I don’t know what an “authentic N.Y. bagel” is like, curious to hear from those in the know if it fits the bill.

A big plus, for those living near it, is that they open at 6am everyday. That fits my work hours, plan to make it there in cold months ahead. Also, Peet’s coffee. Yum.
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:59 pm

Returned again, more good bagels, another 20 minute wait. I’ve asked a few area friends if they’ve tried it, answered no, but each heard lots of buzz. I hope the NYers can weigh in at some point.

In other Poplar Level bakery news, Smor moved a few hundred feet away, now on Trevilian where a law office was, kind of above Oskar’s. The CJ had a nice feature on some of their holiday cookie options last week.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:12 pm

SilvioM wrote:I hope the NYers can weigh in at some point.

Hang on, got a review of both places coming in about ... 12 1/2 hours. :)
PreviousNext