Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Doe Run Inn

User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

Doe Run Inn

by Carla G » Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:13 pm

What happened to it?
I see where it was sold at auction for a bit over 3 million back in 2016. What’s become of the building? I think it’s on the historic registry so I hope it’s not lost.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

TracyB

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:37 am

Re: Doe Run Inn

by TracyB » Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:31 pm

I live within a mile of the property. The entrance is now gated & locked with several no trespassing signs. It is now labeled as Doe Run Preserve. The person who purchased it, Mary Ann Tobin (former Ky Representative) also owns & runs Broadbent Animal Sanctuary. The Tobin family owns the local telephone company as well.
A posting on Broadbent's FB page says the property will forever serve as a natural habitat for wildlife and a protected release site for birds and other animals that are rehabilitated at Broadbent.
Im all for animal rehab etc, but hate that the property is no longer accessible to the public. At one time, the restaurant served excellent county cooking type food.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:28 pm

Thanks for the info, Tracy! It's good to know the details, and you're absolutely correct: It's a good cause AND sad to lose a nice place for an atmospheric meal.
User

BevP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat May 01, 2010 11:06 pm

Bullitt County KY

by BevP » Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:44 am

My late Father in Law grew up in the Brandenburg area and every chance he had to have a meal at Doe Run he would take it. He had so many stories as kids running around that place . I loved going down there with him hearing his tall tales, and the food was good, too.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:40 pm

Well, thanks for the info. It gives me mixed emotions. Happy it’s being put to a good use yet sad that the old house can’t be enjoyed. Every time (since 1965) that my brother would come home from NYC we’d go there for the Sunday buffet. We’d sign the ledger. Long after Pat passed away I’d refer back to those ledgers where he signed in and commented just to read them again. Same with my mom. Once while dining on their porch we watched one of the local churches doing their baptisms in the creek that ran aside the building. I’ll miss it. :cry:
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson