Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

White chocolate

User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

White chocolate

by Carla G » Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:28 pm

Since we’ve been discussing other shortages has anyone else noticed a shortage in white chocolate? I was going to use some in my baking at there was none at 3 different major stores. No white chocolate bits or Even plain Lindt bars. I can find the artificial stuff (basically lard and sugar) but I wanted white chocolate. Wonder why?
The shortage of caffeine free soft drinks that are not artificially sweetened is due to an aluminum shortage. Only the most popular varieties are being canned.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

Re: White chocolate

by Andrew Mellman » Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:12 pm

Low cal soft drinks shortages are due to aluminum shortages and difficulties in obtaining shipments from India (where a lot of can aluminum comes from), but also there's a big problem still with distribution chains not working well. In other words, food service soft drink sales are way down, retail sales are way up (while people eat and drink at home), but retail packaging has not and likely will not gear up production as in a matter of months restaurants should come back! The result: manufacturers are concentrating production for retail on 2-3 key SKU's (they sell a lot more Diet Pepsi than Diet Pepsi Cherry!).

Right now people are still stuck at home, and they are baking. It is likely that many companies have large stockpiles of food-service white chocolate but little availability of small bags or similar containers! If you can get together with friends to use a restaurant-sized bag of white chocolate, you might want to try Sysco (or another food service purveyor) and buy a bag? Hopefully it would be available (I really don't know), but it might be worth trying!
Andrew Mellman
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:12 am

Makes perfect sense Andrew. I should have realized that . Thank you for your suggestion about using Sysco or maybe GFS.
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:49 am

Carla-
You might also give some bakeries a call- they might very well sell you some.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:53 pm

GaryF wrote:Carla-
You might also give some bakeries a call- they might very well sell you some.

:!: :D