Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Another Closing

no avatar
User

Mike D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:29 pm

Another Closing

by Mike D » Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:50 pm

Just saw on the C-J website that Martin's Bar-B-Que Joint on Barret Avenue (the old Lynn's Paradise Cafe) closed permanently yesterday.

We don't eat meat so never went there. I was surprised that they had been there for three years. It didn't seem that long.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: Another Closing

by Mark R. » Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:28 pm

I agree, I didn't think they had been open that long either. The original one in Louisville may have been open that long but I certainly don't think the one that replaced Lynn's had been open, that long. My wife went by the other day around noon time and there was hardly anybody there, she thought they were closed or ? then.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Anthony G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:08 pm

by Anthony G » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:33 pm

I wonder if Martin's was gambling on development at the Old Government Center. Inside Martins, it looks like they were going for alcohol sales. Its probably just bad luck.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:05 am

I think they were hoping for Paris Point to be fully operating, as it's maybe 3/4 of a mile away . . . unfortunately, from what was supposed to be five nights/week (and several days) entertainment venue we now have one or two virtual shows a week!
Andrew Mellman
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:41 am

Bummed to hear this. While certainly not a gold standard, I found their bbq pretty good and they were close. Actually, their pulled pork was my local favorite because I appreciated that they didn't pre-sauce it and they had a pretty good vinegar sauce. And when they first got here they were doing whole hog which is my absolute favorite way of smoking pork. That eventually dropped by the wayside for lack of demand, but their shoulder was still good. Ribs and sides were above average as well. Oh well, they never seemed busy so it makes sense.
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:09 am

Same sentiments, thought it was good enough but even pre-pandemic, they rarely seemed to draw big numbers. A shame given how much they put into the place. After Lynn's, it was vacant for years, hope that doesn't happen again.
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:09 am

SilvioM wrote:Same sentiments, thought it was good enough but even pre-pandemic, they rarely seemed to draw big numbers. A shame given how much they put into the place. After Lynn's, it sat vacant for years, hope that doesn't happen again.
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:05 pm

They still have their location on Westport Rd. near the Snyder, I thought the BBQ was good but kind of pricey, as I like shoulder and know how to make it myself its not a biggy for me. anxiously awaiting my buddy Chan Nelsons Back Deck opening up where Jimbo's was across from Colonial Gardens, he has great burnt ends and brisket, which is what I really like.

GG
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:48 pm

Does Lynn still have some sort of financial interest in the building or did all of those sticky problems go away?
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:05 pm

I'm fairly sure Martin's bought the building, but who knows?
User

Jerry C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:33 am

Buechel

by Jerry C » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:08 pm

Lynn Winter sold the location to a real estate holding company (part of Martin's) on 3/23/2016 ($1,500,000) who turned around and sold it to one of their sister holding companies for $2,200,000 on March 3, 2017.