Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Grassa Gramma takeout makes a fine Italian dinner at hom

by Robin Garr » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:37 am

TP Lowe wrote:There has been some crazy bucatini shortage globally over the past several months. I haven't been to Lotsa Pasta lately, but the big box stores, including Whole Foods, haven't had it forever.

Whoa! That is a very strange thing to be in shortage status. I wonder what's up with that. (googling) Okay, here's five minutes of your life that you'll never get back if you choose to read this very long, overly cute, somewhat overwritten story, which draws the conclusion that there's a shortage because of reasons. :twisted:

https://www.grubstreet.com/2020/12/2020 ... ation.html
User

Alexis Rich

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:24 pm

by Alexis Rich » Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:29 pm

Bucatini is my fave so I felt the need to let all interested parties know that it’s back in stock (even at the Highlands Kroger!) and actually on sale for $1.50. It’s in a plastic bag under the Private Selection label.

It the same vein, mizithra cheese is back in town after a two year hiatus. Whole Foods and Lotsa Pasta still don’t have it however, it’s at Kroger in the deli section where the plastic cartons of Parmesan cheese are. It’s a combo of mizithra and Romano but, with some browned butter, it’s scratches that Old Spaghetti Factory itch.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:33 am

Read the article.
Two conclusions-
-Some journalists in NY write when they get board.
-I suspect NY journalists are paid by the word.
Still not sure why the bucatini shortage is a thing. :roll:
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:12 pm

Alexis Rich wrote: I felt the need to let all interested parties know

Thanks, Alexis! Everyone appreciates this kind of practical service info. :)
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:32 am

Carla G wrote:Still not sure why the bucatini shortage is a thing. :roll:

I just realized this could be read to sound as if I think that concerns about a bucatini shortage is silly. That would be hateful and not what I meant. I meant that after reading (for what seemed like forever) I still don’t know what caused the shortage. I CAN understand missing a favorite...anything!
Apologies if I diminished anyone’s concerns. :oops:
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:03 pm

No worries, Carla. I thought it was a terrible article, and I didn't have any concerns about your post. :)
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:17 pm

Carla G wrote:
Carla G wrote:Still not sure why the bucatini shortage is a thing. :roll:

I just realized this could be read to sound as if I think that concerns about a bucatini shortage is silly. That would be hateful and not what I meant. I meant that after reading (for what seemed like forever) I still don’t know what caused the shortage. I CAN understand missing a favorite...anything!
Apologies if I diminished anyone’s concerns. :oops:

I wonder if it's another example of what I wrote about white chocolate . . . the big pasta makers are selling more retail than "normal," the packaging and labels for Bucatini are longer than for other pastas and not necessarily currently available in quantity, but is it worth their while to gear up to sell an item that probably is around 1% (if that) of their total sales?
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:16 pm

Only resurrecting this because I was in New Orleans last week and dined at Rocky & Carlo's. I never had the chance to get a muffaletta while I was their, though, so to make up for it we ran over the Lotsa Pasta today to grab a couple. Their version is pretty close to the one served at Central Grocery in New Orleans. While I was waiting I checked out the pasta shelf. They were well stocked on bucatini, although it's not the same as the "long macaroni" Rocky & Carlo's uses for their mac & cheese. That pasta is the thickness of regular macaroni, just as long as spaghetti. The bucatini at Lotsa Pasta is not much thicker than regular spaghetti, just with a hole in the middle.

On both the drive down there and on the way back (about 11 hours each way) I also got the chance to indulge in another guilty pleasure, hamburgers from Milo's. It's a regional chain out of Birmingham, where I lived for a few years. They only have locations in Alabama, although their sweet tea is sold by the gallon at Walmart. The menu is basic burgers, chicken sandwiches and fries. The burgers are served on a bun with a burger patty and about half of a chopped-up patty on top of that, finished with onions, pickles and a barbecue sauce that's reminiscent of McRib sauce. Once assembled, it's pressed in a panini press. Awesome.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:19 pm

Thanks for the report, Richard!

One thought about Lotsa Pasta: They have a couple of different brands of bucatini. Barrilla in the familiar blue box is typically thick but not much more so than fat spaghetti, but if you look around the corner there's an Abruzzese brand in brown paper packages that I always get. It's thicker. I can't testify to how it compares to Rocky & Carlo, but I can tell you it's the real Italian deal. :)
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:45 pm

File this under "spending too much time researching macaroni & cheese when I should be working."

Stumbled across a story about this where they identify the pasta variety as perciatelli, although the packages I purchased don't call it that.

https://www.nolaweekend.com/watch-them- ... nd-cheese/
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:54 pm

Rich, thanks for the fascinating research. I think bucatini and perciatelli are basically different regional names for the same pasta shape. Bucatini around Rome and Abruzzi. Perciatelli way down south in Campania. I also imagine that there's some pretty good variation from one producer to another. Pasta is complicated stuff, also fascinating ... and delicious!
Previous