Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

V-Grits is head-spinning good, even if you’re not vegan

by Robin Garr » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:56 am

V-Grits is head-spinning good, even if you’re not vegan

You won't believe you're eating nothing but vegetables when you bite into in V-Grits' delicious pit beef BBQ sandwich.

I had a pit beef barbecue sandwich the other day that was so good it made my head spin. And here’s the kicker: This sandwich was vegan, made entirely from vegetables without a trace of meat.

How can this be? This sandwich, so delicious that I can still taste it in my mind’s palate a couple of days later, came from V-Grits, not just one of my favorite vegan restaurants but one of my favorite restaurants … period.

What do I like so much about V-Grits? We have to start with the food, of course. Chef/owner Kristina J. Addington makes it happen with a commitment to making vegan comfort food – and craft beer, too – entirely from scratch. Addington builds excellent fare that could pass for beef, pork, chicken, ham, and more, entirely from vegetables without any highly processed or additive-loaded ingredients.

Supporting this toothsome vegan fare is a green, spare-the-Earth-and-all-that-is-in-it philosophy that V-Grits expresses on its website: “V-Grits vegan restaurant and Chimera Brewing have strong values - social justice, racial equality, access to healthy food for all, animal rights, sustainability. Join us for vegan comfort food and brewing with benefits.”

What’s “brewing with benefits,” you ask? It’s a commitment of Chimera Brewing, the in-house brewery that Addington and her husband, Jeff Hennis, purchased from former in-house brewery tenant False Idol just over two months ago. Every sale of Chimera’s 10 beers returns a portion of its proceeds to a Louisville non-profit supporting racial equality, food justice, animal rights, foster care, and other worthy causes for social change.

V-Grits was around for years as a food truck, meal service, and product line, but it landed as a full-service restaurant and brewery in October 2018, taking over the space where the Highlands meet Germantown, once a dry cleaner, that had long housed The Monkey Wrench.

“We are committed to making every ingredient from scratch, including all of our vegan meats and cheeses,” the website pledges. “Let us prove that you can still enjoy flavorful comfort food without animal products. Please use us a resource for your own food journey. We will patiently answer and help with any dilemma you may face, from wondering where your protein will come from, to attending family barbecues,”

The “vegan Southern comfort food” menu is extensive, with more than three dozen items subdivided into salads, snacks, mac & cheese, skillet fries, sandwiches and such (including one side), entrees, and a bunch of sides. Pricing makes meat look expensive, though, with entrees and some of the sandwiches topping out at $13.

The menu is not coy about calling vegan protein meat, either. They don’t put quotes around meat or cheese, and they don’t come up with funky names like “chik’n” or “beefy.” It is what it is, and what it is is good. ...

Read the complete article on LouisvilleHotBytes,
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/vgrits-vegan

You'll also find this review in LEO Weekly's Food & Drink section today.
http://www.leoweekly.com/category/food-drink/

V-Grits and Chimera Brewing
1025 Barret Ave.
742-1714
http://vgrits.com
https://facebook.com/vgrits
https://instagram.com/vgrits
User

Ron H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:10 pm

Re: V-Grits is head-spinning good, even if you’re not vegan

by Ron H » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:32 am

I've never been shy about being a carnivore, but V-Grits has always made meatless meals that are incredible, from wherever I've gotten them from. I'm also a huge fan of what they're doing with Chimera.
"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2000 of something." - Mitch Hedberg
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:37 am

Ron, you've got that right, about V-Grits and Chimera. I'm still thinking about that pit beef barbecue and marveling how they did that with mushrooms, beef, and spices.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:47 am

Like Ron I'm A card-carrying carnivore but we stopped it to V-Grits yesterday after reading Robin's review and I certainly agree, if you didn't know your eating vegan certainly wouldn't know it. I had the burrito and my wife had the French dip sandwich and except for the fact we knew we were eating in a vegan restaurant we could have told you it was vegan.

It's not very convenient for us so we won't be going very often but it certainly is a place we will go to when we're in that part of town.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:23 am

I'm guessing Robin's review generated multiple new customers as I was enticed enough to order one of those bbq sandwiches and yes, it's great. I was impressed by the texture of the faux beef--it was nice and toothy, even slightly chewy, but in a good way. I'll be hitting them up again.
no avatar
User

Alanna H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:11 pm

Colorado Springs

by Alanna H » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:31 pm

I am definitely trying them out the next time I'm in Louisville!