Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Rich S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:07 am

Milano adding location on Westport Road

by Rich S » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:16 pm

Milano Italian Restaurant, which has locations in Shelbyville and Mount Washington, is opening a third restaurant at 11300 Westport Road — that’s at Chamberlain Lane, just down the street from the Ford truck plant. A recent WDRB story said it will open sometime early this year.

I’m encouraged that Milano and several other independent restaurants are planning to open in the next few months — I hope it’s a sign that better days are on the way for restaurants.

https://www.facebook.com/milanoitalianky/
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Milano adding location on Westport Road

by Robin Garr » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:39 pm

Ha! When I saw that, I thought of Milantoni on Hurstbourne just south of I-64, which has its original shop in Bardstown. The similarities left me briefly confused but I think I get it now. :)
no avatar
User

Rich S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:07 am

by Rich S » Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:16 am

The new Milano will open tomorrow (June 21). I've heard good things about the Mount Washington location, so I'm looking forward to trying this place.
User

Christina Firriolo

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:39 pm

by Christina Firriolo » Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:32 pm

Are these the same people that own Milatoni? Or is there some connection? Thanks!
"Wine is sunlight, held together by water!" ~Galileo Gallilei
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:59 am

My map program shows the address to be behind Ken Towery . . . for their sake I hope it's more visible than that!
Andrew Mellman
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:20 pm

Christina Firriolo wrote:Are these the same people that own Milatoni? Or is there some connection? Thanks!

Christina, I don't have official chapter and verse, but it appears to be different restaurants (restaurant groups) that both are named after the city of Milan and both expanded to Louisville from smaller Kentucky county seat towns south and east of here. If they're all connected, I don't have any evidence of that. Their menus are different, although obviously have many similarities since they are ... Italian! And they both have pizza.
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:46 pm

My daughter and I ate at the one in Mt Washington. It was very good. Service excellent. Menu is very large. Definitely a keeper.
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:25 pm

Ate at the Westport Road location.

The calamari appetizer was cooked perfectly, but we thought it a bit too salty. The waitress told us the calzones were huge, so each couple ordered one calzone to split. They were delicious, but beyond that we should have ordered one calzone for the four of us! Took home enough for a second dinner.

Looking at other tables, the pizzas were filled to brimming with stuff, and the pastas also looked easily sharable. This is meaningless if the food weren't good, but our calzones were wonderful (and VERY cheesy if you like that sort of thing).

One thing to note: as with everyone else, they are short-staffed in the kitchen. Combine that with the fact that pizzas and calzones require a rather long cook time, and service (while knowledgeable and quite good) is very slow due to the kitchen. Bear with them! (we talked to our waitress after eating, as we almost closed the place around 9pm, and she mentioned that she had one huge table with a bill of several hundred dollars and several others who all blamed her for "slow service," and either tipped minimally or (the $200 table) stiffed her!)
Andrew Mellman
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:43 pm

Andrew Mellman wrote:... she mentioned that she had one huge table with a bill of several hundred dollars and several others who all blamed her for "slow service," and either tipped minimally or (the $200 table) stiffed her!)

I think it's becoming sadly clear why an awful lot of servers who found other jobs during the pandemic are just plain not coming back. Sad story.

Thanks for sharing the Milano report, though!
User

Christina Firriolo

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:39 pm

by Christina Firriolo » Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:57 pm

Did anyone notice the calzone challenge?

My husband (from New Yawk, of course) is a big calzone eater. I feel this is even too much for him!

https://www.foodchallenges.com/challeng ... -kentucky/
"Wine is sunlight, held together by water!" ~Galileo Gallilei
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:41 pm

Christina Firriolo wrote:Did anyone notice the calzone challenge?

My husband (from New Yawk, of course) is a big calzone eater. I feel this is even too much for him!

https://www.foodchallenges.com/challeng ... -kentucky/

:shock: :shock: :shock:
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:35 pm

This has become a standard/go to restaurant for us . . . the combination of good well-made yet inexpensive food with a good wait staff (and portions large enough to take some home for next day's lunch) can't be beat!

Went for the first time over the weekend, and they had a string quartet playing popular music focusing more on Italian standards (think Dean Martin songs played by strings!). While they were not first chairs from the Louisville orchestra, it still added even more to the overall experience.
Andrew Mellman
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:36 pm

Andrew Mellman wrote:This has become a standard/go to restaurant for us . . . the combination of good well-made yet inexpensive food with a good wait staff (and portions large enough to take some home for next day's lunch) can't be beat!

Went for the first time over the weekend, and they had a string quartet playing popular music focusing more on Italian standards (think Dean Martin songs played by strings!). While they were not first chairs from the Louisville orchestra, it still added even more to the overall experience.

Thanks for the report, Andrew. It sounds promising!

That quartet sounds a lot like the group that used to play at the old Loui Loui's (in the even older Ferd Grisanti building)!