Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Buechel Ethnic Mile

no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

Buechel Ethnic Mile

by James Natsis » Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:09 pm

I was in Buechel the other day looking for cars and just marveled at the vibrant food/store ethnic options along the 1-mile stretch that runs along the back of Bardstown Rd. I had some extra time today so I took an inventory of the goods. When its compiled its nothing short of remarkable. (Notably missing is hispanic fare!)

The list is pretty much in order from south to north starting at Dinos on Bardstown Rd and ending at Jasmin close to the Hikes Lane White Castle. The distance between the two is almost exactly one mile!
N.B. I've either been in these, saw people coming in or out, or saw the "Open" light lit. In other words, they are all still in business.

Dinos Bakery (fresh breads--Arab, Iran, etc and other baked goods; fresh butcher in the back---a true treasure to the city)
Jamaican Jerk Center
Brooks Cafe and Groceries (Jerk and Brooks are on Bardstown just up from Dinos. Brooks has morphed into a hybrid convenience, Ethiopian shop with fresh injera)
Everest Super Market
New African Store
Ma Salallah Restaurant (these two tend to be Senegambian)
Didi Design and Alteration (Ethiopian and other African dresses.... beautiful and large selection)
C & B Sisters Grocery (Nepal/Indian)
Aisha's Food Market (Nepal/Indian)
Mor's African Market (Senegambian)
Eden and Kessi Afro-Caribbean
International Grocery Nepalese Mart
Pasha's (Middle East restaurant and houkah lounge)
Asian Food Mart (Korean)
Bursalino Coffee and Euro Pastries (Bosnian)
Namaste Grocery
Kathmandu Kitchen and Bar (former Bosna-Mak)
Golden Key Market (Russian--been there for about 30 yrs)
Jasmin Bakery
Southern Dasha Barbour Bistro (next to Jasmine--soul food)
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Buechel Ethnic Mile

by Robin Garr » Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:35 pm

That's great! I did a report on that strip a few years ago, and it's interesting to see how much the names have changed since then, although with the general flavor of the neighborhood staying the same.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

by James Natsis » Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:35 pm

Robin Garr wrote:That's great! I did a report on that strip a few years ago, and it's interesting to see how much the names have changed since then, although with the general flavor of the neighborhood staying the same.

Yeah, many folks are aware of that strip and I recall your reporting a few years back. As an update, I saw three things worth emphasis:

1. For those who aren't familiar with the area, or for those who haven't been out that way in a while, its well worth the adventure (although likely more post corona than now).
2 These places have been quite resilient.
3. One of the notable trends was the growth of a Nepalese presence on the food scene there.
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

looi

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:23 pm

by looi » Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:35 pm

As for Nepalese, besides being the best soldiers in the world, they are great cooks.
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:42 am

I can’t say I know where Dino’s is. Is it as far south (southeast?) as the antique mall?
Once we get post Covid that would make for a fun day shopping and noshing!
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

by James Natsis » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:33 am

Dinos is just south of Bob Hook Chevrolet in a small plaza behind OReillys Auto Parts. It is right where Bardstown Rd splits into Buechel.
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:17 am

I'm pretty sure many Middle Eastern restaurants around town are using bread from Dino's. Their hummus is probably the best in town, if you can get it before they run out for the day.
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:48 pm

Totally agree. You can get a huge tub of hummus, baba ganoush, and a heavy stack of fresh pita for like $12. One of the best, most delicious deals in town.
no avatar
User

Terri Beam

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:26 pm

by Terri Beam » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:59 pm

I can’t say I know where Dino’s is. Is it as far south (southeast?) as the antique mall?
Once we get post Covid that would make for a fun day shopping and noshing!

Dino's is behind a Thornton's and O'Reilly Auto Parts. I'd say it's about a mile south of the former antique mall. It's not on the spur (if you will).

And yes, the antique mall closed last year. I saw a lot of rental trucks there recently, so I guess they were moving what was left out of the place.
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:20 am

Thanks for posting the info.
(Heavy sigh)
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:09 am

Iggy C wrote:Totally agree. You can get a huge tub of hummus, baba ganoush, and a heavy stack of fresh pita for like $12. One of the best, most delicious deals in town.

I stopped by this week, based on the recommendations here. Great value, delicious bread. I just wish they didn't use so much tahini in the hummus. It makes it taste like peanut butter.
no avatar
User

Ray Griffith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:39 pm

Highlands

by Ray Griffith » Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:49 pm

Years ago, Asian Food Mart was Dixie Oriental Food and Gifts. :lol: :roll: It just didn’t sound quite right!