Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Takeout that travels well

no avatar
User

Nathaniel C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:50 pm

Takeout that travels well

by Nathaniel C » Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:21 pm

I think this has been mentioned in a couple of recent threads, so I thought I'd start a separate topic to discuss specific dishes that do or don't work well for situations where they may sit in the restaurant for a while before being picked up, then endure a drive home, and possibly need to be reheated. The same sort of criteria that make a dish travel well for takeout usually also make it reheat well the next day if you can't eat it all. I'm sure this is mostly obvious to many here, but we're all learning, and I'd hate to see someone swear off takeout or a specific restaurant just because their order was ready early, sat for a while, and then they made a long drive to get it home.

Generally bad: tacos, hamburgers, anything else with a mixture of hot and cold toppings where they will tend to quickly get to the same temperature; anything with soft, spongy bread that will absorb moisture and get soggy (i.e., many hot sandwiches). I have not tried, but I'm assuming a lot of frozen dessert items won't fare well unless you immediately pop them in a cooler.

Generally good: non-breaded protein and veggie entrees, flatbread sandwiches (still good the next day if you pull off the bread and toast it to get the moisture out); fries (same trick with toasting to remove moisture). As a Havana Rumba aficionado, I was very impressed with the to-go Rumba Queso Dip. They give you separate containers for the hot and cold ingredients, which makes it much more amenable to travel than the dish that is served in the restaurant with hot queso and Spanish chorizo mixed with cold guac and pico.

As for dishes you make at home, we have a saying in my family that chili is never good the first day, it needs to sit in the fridge overnight so that the flavors of the various ingredients can meld... So, what dishes have you been pleasantly surprised by when ordering takeout, and what dishes have you discovered just don't "travel well?" Happy New Year, everyone!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Takeout that travels well

by Robin Garr » Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:19 am

Good post, Nathaniel! We noticed early on that fried fish didn't travel well, and made a note to get it only from places within a 10-minute drive at most. Pizza is eminently reheatable (a good toaster oven does the job for me), but when you bring it home from any distance inside its cardboard box, it can be kind of soggy if you just open the box and grab a piece. Those are the biggies that I've noticed. Tacos? Haven't brought home too many, but generally they've come from fairly close places.
no avatar
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:57 am

My worst carry-out decision: calamari didn't age well on the half-hour drive home to Shelby County.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:25 pm

I try to avoid almost all fried foods (soggy replaces crispy after 5-10 minutes), although I have made exceptions by taking the lid off in the car so steam doesn't build up (and then popping it in a 300 degree oven to re-heat).

Seafood in general goes from tender to soggy to rubbery pretty fast.

We like beef/lamb cooked rare to medium rare, but travel any distance and it's either medium-well or has a steamed texture.

We've had good luck with Asian food (fried food with sauces packed separately and sushi work very well!). We don't get unsauced fried foods as they get mushy, but those with sauce to be added are usually pretty good. Also, I've been to sushi places where the chef wants each piece to be eaten within 15 seconds of carving, but most rolls appear fine!

Pizza is fine, and we don't have major trouble with poultry (other than crispy-fried) or pasta. Also, while some Mexican may get soggy, we can re-crisp to a limited degree in an oven or frying pan at home!

We do keep a freezer bag in each car, which helps with both hot and cold takeout.
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:44 am

I echo the comments about fried food not traveling well. I had what I thought was a clever idea to mitigate the soggies: open the styrofoam box and place it on the heated seat of my car. I would not recommend this. My car smelled like fish for a week.
no avatar
User

Clay Cundiff

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:54 am

by Clay Cundiff » Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:24 pm

Indian food has always done really well for us. Most dishes are moist and travel well, as does rice. Naan and other breads reheat well in the toaster oven if they get a little over steamed on the trip home. Plus, great leftovers for lunch the next day.
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:46 pm

I haven't been too surprised by many choices, though a recent margherita pizza was a flop, literally. Tomatoes have a lot of water content, made the crust a mess, should've known.

Successes are things that are good when reheated (I also expect/hope for leftovers with carryout), so lots of Indian and Asian places, dishes with rice or noodles. I've avoided some of the things mentioned above, along with fish, since reheating results in overcooking. Simply Thai has a crispy garlic tilapia that I keep wanting to try, but it will have to wait.
no avatar
User

Ray Griffith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:39 pm

Highlands

by Ray Griffith » Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:51 pm

Sorry, I just couldn’t resist. I will just leave this here as I have to duck the flying daggers that will be coming in my general direction.

https://youtu.be/Eh1kmVwS4Hw
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:37 pm

Ray Griffith wrote:Sorry, I just couldn’t resist. I will just leave this here as I have to duck the flying daggers that will be coming in my general direction.

https://youtu.be/Eh1kmVwS4Hw

Aiyeeeeeee!! :twisted:
no avatar
User

Nathaniel C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:50 pm

by Nathaniel C » Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:49 pm

LOL! That would actually work, although I'd prefer the cheese melted over the hamburger on the hot side, and the bottom slice of bun placed on the cold side.

Pizza almost always travels and reheats well. Reheating is optional... A couple of squares of leftover Jet's pizza is one of my favorite lunches to pack in the cooler when I go hiking.