Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Taco Choza’s burrito is bigger than your sled. Well, almost.

by Robin Garr » Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:57 am

Taco Choza’s burrito is bigger than your sled. Well, almost.

The spicy El Compadre Burrito at Taco Choza offers your choice of beef, chicken, or shrimp in an oversize, fully packed burrito.

Imagine yourself with a burrito on your plate. A hefty El Compadre burrito from Taco Choza, that’s a good one. Are you getting hungry? I sure am! Lift it, feel its weight, admire the tasty char marks on its textured wheaten surface. Mmm, mmm, good.

This is what I love about a burrito: When you bite through that tasty flour-tortilla wrapper, your first mouthful incorporates a collection of goodies. With Taco Choza’s signature El Compadre that’s going to be meat, reddish-tinted Mexican rice, two kinds of beans, some salad greens, a dash of pico de gallo, a taste of guacamole, a bit of sour cream, a drizzle of queso, all coming together in one symphonic gulp.

That’s a lot to like, and I think it helps explain the burrito’s enduring popularity. It’s no coincidence that this portable lunch in a wrapper became a favorite that you can find everywhere from your local taqueria to such fast-food big names as Chipotle, qDoba, and Moe’s.

I’ll pass on the giant chains, with the possible rare exception of Chipotle, but I’m happy to pick up one or two at a local Mexican spot, particularly if I’m in a mood for one big burrito in favor of, say, four or five tacos. I like Taco Choza, which has been around for jut over two years now and whose name translates as "Taco Hut.” I like that.

Before we talk about the food, by the way, let me tell you another reason I admire this place: It’s their way of doing things. Consider this Facebook post from the owner on November 21, the day after Gov. Andy Beshear’s most recent dining-in shutdown order:

“If you are not working/not getting a paycheck/struggling to make ends meet and run out of food or necessities … please don’t let yourself or your kids go to sleep with an empty stomach. Don’t be afraid or embarrassed to send me a private message. I am more than happy to help. I will drop and go, or order for delivery. No one has to know and I will pretend it never happened. What's understood never has to be explained.”

I admire a restaurateur who acts like that, and the least I could do was head to Taco Choza for lunch. We brought home a couple of burritos and some sides, it it made more than enough to nosh on for about three days. ...

Read the complete article on LouisvilleHotBytes,
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/taco-choza-burrito

You'll also find this review in LEO Weekly's Food & Drink section today.
http://www.leoweekly.com/category/food-drink/

Taco Choza Louisville
3922 Westport Road
409-5080
http://tacochoza.com
Facebook: http://bit.ly/Taco-Choza
no avatar
User

Will Terry

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon May 04, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: Taco Choza’s burrito is bigger than your sled. Well, alm

by Will Terry » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:55 am

I lived in San Diego for a year and ate more burritos than I care to admit... I’m always on the hunt for a better burrito in Louisville.

Taco choZa is good! I didn’t pay attention when ordering and ended up with a burrito smothered in queso, which is a weird thing to complain about, but burritos are supposed to be eaten with your hands and the Covid-19 plastic utensils weren’t fit for the job.

Everything inside the burrito was made well. The tortilla itself was one of the better ones I’ve had in Louisville. The salsa options were tasty.

I’m definitely planning on a return trip and will pay more attention to what I order! And I’ll tip well! Awesome that the owner is willing to help people.
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:09 pm

Not heard of this place, thanks for the review and recommendation. I'm more tacos than burritos, will pick up a few since I'm (conveniently) driving past that spot around dinnertime.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:14 pm

Silvio, Tacos (as the name implies) is really what they do. I just got on a burrito kick from watching that episode on Netflix Taco Chronicles. I hope you enjoy them!

To help you recognize the place, it was formerly Ville Taqueria, and before that Carolina Seafood for many years. It's a freestanding building in the lot behind the place that used to be Bluegrass Brewing Co. ;)
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:15 pm

Will Terry wrote:I... I'm definitely planning on a return trip and will pay more attention to what I order! And I’ll tip well! Awesome that the owner is willing to help people.

Will, I'm really on the lookout for things like that and was glad I ran into his Facebook post. Glad you enjoyed it, too ... even con queso!
User

BevP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat May 01, 2010 11:06 pm

Bullitt County KY

by BevP » Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:09 am

We found this place fairly early this summer when we were all just starting to learn about masking and eating outside. And from my own way of remembering things before I lost my hubby . I remember how much we loved the outside dining and how nice the owner was as he came around to check on all of us, The food was great, have not made it back there, been staying a bit closer to home but will try to soon.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:26 pm

BevP wrote:We found this place fairly early this summer when we were all just starting to learn about masking and eating outside. And from my own way of remembering things before I lost my hubby . I remember how much we loved the outside dining and how nice the owner was as he came around to check on all of us, The food was great, have not made it back there, been staying a bit closer to home but will try to soon.

No “heart” emoji I can use here, but please consider it entered.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Margie L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:47 pm

by Margie L » Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:33 pm

Robin, his nachos are also epic in size and taste. I love the owner and his care for his customers and his food.
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:00 pm

Very good food. I had the Cuban-style tace, mahi-mahi, and the elote. Are were very tasty. I prefer a few more ingredients and sauce options (the #3 short rib at Luchador is still my fave in the area), but I'll be back to try the other ones at Choza.

For those being safe, they do have a tent with reasonable openings, so once the weather hit 55 or so (as it always does on occasion in a Louisville winter), keep it in mind as a spot for outdoor-ish dining.
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

by Kim H » Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:59 am

I looove Taco Choza! We've eaten there several times and have never been disappointed. The flavors are great, the portions are beyond generous, and their service is fantastic. They recently graciously granted a request to help me celebrate my birthday at home, and it was much appreciated! They didn't have to do that. Wonderful people, wonderful food! :D
no avatar
User

Nathaniel C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:50 pm

by Nathaniel C » Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:57 pm

Despite the "taco" namesake, their burrito is one of my favorites, and it is truly massive. I usually get the cheese-coated Burrito Fajita because I know I won't be able to eat it all, and it doesn't have lettuce or sour cream, which won't reheat well (side note: the pandemic has quickly taught me to order carry-out dishes that "travel well" and "reheat well"). The chips are wonderful (affirmed by my dog), and I like their guac, but their queso dip is also delicious and really nice in its simplicity. Their margaritas are a near tie with Havana Rumba's Ultimate Margarita, which is very high praise coming from me.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:28 pm

Nathaniel C wrote:... the pandemic has quickly taught me to order carry-out dishes that "travel well" and "reheat well") ...

Yes! That's almost worth a thread or story in its own right. We've pretty much quit getting anything fried for takeout unless it's within five minutes of home, f'rinstance. Same for anything really delicate.
no avatar
User

Nathaniel C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:50 pm

by Nathaniel C » Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:18 am

Robin Garr wrote:Yes! That's almost worth a thread or story in its own right. We've pretty much quit getting anything fried for takeout unless it's within five minutes of home, f'rinstance. Same for anything really delicate.

Even close to home, there is always the possibility that it got done before the quoted time and it's been sitting waiting for pickup for 15 minutes or so. With things like fries, it's easy enough to pop them in the toaster oven to crisp up, but it can get more complicated with other dishes.