Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Apna Cafe

no avatar
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

Apna Cafe

by Gary Guss » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:05 am

Anyone been to this place?
We just stopped in to the grocery next door to pick up some spices, whole nutmeg, coriander seed, and cinnamon bark, for some potpourri Linda wants to make. The grocery is pretty well stocked, and also has some deli items. Its right off Chamberlain lane across from Walmart. They have a facebook page for the cafe but it looks like a placeholder.

GG.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Apna Cafe

by Robin Garr » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:54 am

Haven't yet, but in related news, Jay Hind Indian Grocery is finally open on Hurstbourne, near where the old Walmart used to be, and I wandered throught it yesterday before shooting around the corner to pick up lunch from Shreeji. Yum!
no avatar
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:15 am

Thanks for sharing that, Robin. I've only recently started building my Indian cooking chops and really needed a place for those one-off ingredients needed occasionally.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:03 pm

Gary Guss wrote:Anyone been to this place?
We just stopped in to the grocery next door to pick up some spices, whole nutmeg, coriander seed, and cinnamon bark, for some potpourri Linda wants to make. The grocery is pretty well stocked, and also has some deli items. Its right off Chamberlain lane across from Walmart. They have a facebook page for the cafe but it looks like a placeholder.

GG.

We used to go to that grocery a lot for spices and stuff not found elsewhere, but the last time there I got home and found tiny "use by" dates on several of the items that were long-since past. While we haven't been back since, I miss the convenience of the location. Have you ever found that problem, or did I just happen to get the wrong things at the wrong time?
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:26 pm

We got spices for Potpourri, didnt look at the dates..Coriander date is May 2021 so that's okay, no date on Cinnamon bark in sealed bag and the Nutmeg we bought looks and smells great.

GG
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:36 pm

Gary Guss wrote:We got spices for Potpourri, didnt look at the dates..Coriander date is May 2021 so that's okay, no date on Cinnamon bark in sealed bag and the Nutmeg we bought looks and smells great.

GG

Thanks!
Andrew Mellman