Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Vietnam Kitchen

no avatar
User

Kris Billiter

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

Downtown

Vietnam Kitchen

by Kris Billiter » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:47 am

Anyone been lately? Are they doing dine in? What’s spacing like if so? Thanks fir any info!
Kris
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Vietnam Kitchen

by Robin Garr » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:21 am

Good question. They have a "dine in or carry out" image on their Facebook page as of last weekend, but given the layout and cramped quarters I'd personally be wary of dining in even with spaced tables.
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:44 pm

I picked up an Uber Eats order there a few weeks ago. It was an "order and pay" job so I sat in the dining room for about 20 minutes. It was set up for social distancing, which means they couldn't accommodate more than 4 tables or so. Looked like they were doing a brisk carryout business, though.
no avatar
User

Kris Billiter

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

Downtown

by Kris Billiter » Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:45 pm

Went down today to try it out figuring we could always just get it to go if we didn’t feel comfortable. As Richard said they are set up for distancing and we felt good about the experience. They are doing a good job under tough circumstances!
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:26 am

I've been every other week in the past few months. According to the CJ, the end may be near -- a link accessible to non-subscribers.: https://www.kcrea.com/listing/XHeLU3v4rNQ/Kentucky
I hope things work out long term and they can continue with their current employees.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:47 am

:cry:

There's been talk about that for years, but they always deny it, probably for obvious reasons. I'm afraid it's that classic cycle, the owner gets old and wants to retire, and the younger generation isn't interested in carrying it on. I hope they find a (preferably Vietnamese) taker.
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:15 pm

FYI, according to their site, they are closed from 10/9 - 11/14. No reason given, hopefully all is well.
no avatar
User

Nathaniel C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:50 pm

by Nathaniel C » Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:34 pm

Since it seems like they're closed whenever I've thought of ordering there before, I took the opportunity to order delivery through Delivery.com from VK tonight. I noted I had a shellfish allergy and did not order any dishes which said they contained fish sauce (including the much-beloved K8, which contains sate sauce, of which fish sauce is generally a component). I was given a delivery time of 6:20-6:35. I shortly got a call from Delivery.com indicating that they can't make the pork egg rolls I ordered for someone with a shellfish allergy and had cancelled that item. I never would have imagined that, but I can only assume that they do not have a dedicated fryer that doesn't cook shellfish.

The chicken mi xao and Gà xào Dau arrived at 6:51. The driver left them on the porch at the front door (despite my instructions otherwise) but did wait for me to come out and told me from their car that one of the items had been cancelled and would be refunded. Some of the sauce from the styrofoam containers had spilled inside the bag and all over the utensils, indicating someone wasn't careful about keeping the containers upright. I'd give the delivery 2 out of 5 stars.

The food was good. I particularly enjoyed the sauteed green beans. The lo mein seemed a little light on chicken, but was otherwise good, and the bean sprouts and other veggies tasted fresh. The rice which came with the Gà xào Dau did not seem to want to absorb the soy sauce I put on it. It was decent enough and I have plenty of leftovers for tomorrow (and probably the day after, as well), but District 6 is still my favorite local Vietnamese eatery, followed by NamNam Cafe.
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:29 pm

During dinner there last week I spoke to the owner about the sale of the restaurant and the six week closure. Good news. Their son has decided to take over the business. They are up and running again full steam. The owner and his wife will continue to stay involved for the next several month to ensure a smooth transition to the son. So, we will continue to have VK for the foreseeable future.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:47 pm

Ron Johnson wrote:During dinner there last week I spoke to the owner about the sale of the restaurant and the six week closure. Good news. Their son has decided to take over the business. They are up and running again full steam. The owner and his wife will continue to stay involved for the next several month to ensure a smooth transition to the son. So, we will continue to have VK for the foreseeable future.

Most excellent news! Thanks for checking, Ron!