Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Del Frisco’s New Spot

no avatar
User

Shannon W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:06 pm

Del Frisco’s New Spot

by Shannon W » Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:29 pm

I’m going to be a nice as possible, given they’re only a week or so into their new space. (Which is updated and pretty for sure)

Almost everything we ordered had issues. They were clearly busy, making wait times for anything very long. Given the overall situation, we only complained about a hammered steak and ridiculous (thin/dry) swordfish.

My main issue (which I told the manager) was the seating. We had people seated within 2 feet of my daughter. She could have rubbed elbows with the guy. When I mentioned it, I got a geometry lesson about how the center of our table was 6 feet from the next, so no worries. I asked him to walk with me and see how close the tables were, he refused. He was too busy shaking hands and hugging friends who walked in.

It’s so easy to say your “safe” and “following guidelines.” Because, I called ahead to be extra sure. Following them is the challenge, and the reason we won’t be back anytime soon.
"Mark that frame an eight...and you're entering a world of pain."
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Del Frisco’s New Spot

by Robin Garr » Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:52 pm

Thanks for the report, Shannon. I'm sorry your experience wasn't good, but I have no problem with the tone of your review and appreciate you letting us know what's up. Let's hope things settle down with a little time.
no avatar
User

Mike D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:29 pm

by Mike D » Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:20 am

The "six feet between table centers" is the main reason why we haven't eaten indoors or in a patio/sidewalk/tent setting since March 6. Nor do we have any plans to do so in the foreseeable future. I see diners pretty much back-to-back at almost every restaurant where I've been able to observe.

Our two non carryout/curbside outings since March have been at a picnic table at Mozza Pi and at a picnic table at Wallace Station in Versailles.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:43 am

I'm with you, Mike. I want to support the local industry, and I'll do it fiercely with takeout, the lower touch the better. But to be honest, even with real six-foot spacing between diners at other tables, I'm wary of dining in. Too many people I don't sleep with in an enclosed space with random air currents during a pandemic that can kill people? No, sorry, but just no.
no avatar
User

Mike L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:58 am

by Mike L » Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:00 pm

I really feel bad for these restaurants. No one is going to pay them to make up the theoretical difference of what they'd be making if they could still pack people in like sardines.

Some people will go to the restaurants and don't care about distancing at all. But there are enough people who are either cautious or outright refuse to go, that these restaurants are not going to make it long term. We really need a vaccine and to see the infection numbers go way down.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:06 pm

I think you've hit the nail on the head, Mike. A good, quality vaccine can't come too soon for any of us.
no avatar
User

Nathaniel C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:50 pm

by Nathaniel C » Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:55 pm

Del Frisco’s was not good the one time I went there (at the old location) with family. Between us, we had steak, a pork chop, and chicken, none of which was good. The sides were decent. Given the above, I don’t see a good reason to go back.
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:45 pm

Nathaniel C wrote:Del Frisco’s was not good the one time I went there (At the old location) with family. Between us, we had steak, a pork chop, and chicken, none of which was good. The sides were decent. Given the above, I don’t see a good reason to go back.

We also had a bad experience at the old location and see no reason to go back. Louisville has lots of steak restaurants so if you have a problem with 1 of them there's no sense in going back. The OPs problems and the new one certainly don't encourage me to go back either.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Willie Myers

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:53 pm

by Willie Myers » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:36 pm

geez, I thought this tale (following) was long since buried, never to be told again, but.....I just can't resist!

for quite a few years, a bunch of us "grown-ups" would get together bi-monthly for "neighbors' nite out". we'd pick a restaurant that could accommodate a party of 12-16 *with separate checks*. A few of us had been to the old Del Fresco's - usually just as a couple - so we put it on our list.

When it came to the top of our list, one of our group phoned to make the rez and confirm the "seperate checks" thing.
You can see where this is goin'.....

THE STORY:
We got there on time, were seated and all ordered cocktails. And it was during the serving of the pre-dinner cocktails that one of us mentioned the grouping for sepearte checks. We were informed, by a waiter who claimed to be the son of the owners, that under no conditions - - absolutely NO seperate checks.
oops....

We paid cash for our drinks and headed out the front door. Ironically, out there, one of our guys ran in to an old pal having a smoke. And in the midst of their discussion, his pal proffered, "I don't know why they'd tell you that.....we're a group of 14 and se've just received our SEPERATE checks!"
hmmm...
We left.

About a year later, on the chance that *someone* had misunderstood *someone*, we thought we'd give it another shot. I had made the booking reconfirmed that we would like separate checks.
A couple of nights before the rez, I was having a pint with my good friend, the noted publican and raconteur, and he said, "hell, let's ride over there and have them confirm to your (our) face that there'll be no problem.
And so we did - - rive over, that is. And an elderly gentleman at the front desk confirmed to us, blah, blah, blah...

Two night's later, our group of 12 showed up and.... see "THE STORY" above.....rinse and repeat.....
Out we went and off to my friend's pub.

Adios, DelFresco's.....
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:03 pm

If you want to see social distancing in action, visit one of the many strip mall Chinese carryout places around town. They don't play. Most have constructed a wall at the counter separating kitchen from lobby and pass your order to you through a tunnel.