Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Chicken wings

no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

Chicken wings

by Carla G » Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:01 pm

Who has the best that are easy to pick up during these times? I was craving some the other day and , I dunno, I just couldn’t think of anyplace. Wing Station on Westport are only so so. The ones at Fun Food on Murphy Lane are really big and pretty good but he only fries them, doesn’t sauce them. None of the grocery stores have any decent fried chicken. My go to used to be any Quick Chinese stand at the counter and order place but the ones near me Have closed.
Suggestions?
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

Re: Chicken wings

by Andrew Mellman » Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:25 pm

1. Roosters . . . wings are good, will do them salt free if you want . . . can get them plain or with any (or a combination) of a lot of sauces . . . large . . . pick up is a snap, as they have "pick up" parking spaces from which you call and they bring it out touchless

2. Rooties are the best, but you may have to go in to get them; I just don't know

3. Mama's BBQ are very good smoked, and while I know you can get sauce on the side I'm not sure about already sauced . . . also, not really set up for in-car delivery (not sure if either location does it)
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Jerry C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:33 am

Buechel

by Jerry C » Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:57 pm

Rooster's is my go to...near my house and very good wings.

Mama's are sure good, but not handy for me.
no avatar
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:06 am

KFC has pretty good wings. You can order in advance and pick up in the drive through.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:57 pm

JustinHammond wrote:KFC has pretty good wings. You can order in advance and pick up in the drive through.

I do like them, but the KFC at 265 and LaGrange Rd is the worst! They run out of various products regularly regardless of the time of day. I’ve given up on them.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:20 pm

Somebody bought us an airfryer last Christmas period. Its been a wonderful addition to my underwhelming cooking arsenal.

Heck, instead of hassling with trying to pick up or have an order delivered of mediocre wings, its better to pull out some frozen or fresh wings from the frige/freezer, roll them in whatever sauce you choose or just flour, and let them cook for about 25 minutes or so---quick, easy to clean up, and an acceptable taste at a lower price than from an outside source.

The airfryer is also good for warming up stuff--quicker than an oven and crispier than a microwave.
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:06 am

Both style wings at Coal's are really good and somewhat non-traditional(coal oven). Pretty sure they are still doing curbside and online.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:04 am

I second the recommendation for the air fryer. Uses a lot less oil, yet produces a nice crispy surface. It's also handy for fries, breaded fish, all sorts of things that are generally fried.
As to restaurant wings, Rooties has been my favorite for years, but that's quite a dedicated hoof for some. River City Drafthouse on Bardstown used to have a great wing special on Wednesday nights (not sure if they still do), with lots of sauce options. I've always enjoyed those. Finally, I'm going to hit up Faces soon as theirs look good and I know they did great things at Gospel Bird.
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:55 am

All great ideas , thanks to everyone. I was wondering if an air fryer is an investment that would pay off in the long run. (My condo kitchen is eeeteee tiny already and filled with baking gear) . I think the bottom line is I’m going to have to move back into town if I’m going to enjoy other people’s cooking.
But I have made notes and looked up menus on line.
Thanks to you that took the time to respond. :D
no avatar
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:53 am

I was apprehensive it would be another space-consuming gadget of spare utility (well, maybe my wife was more of that opinion because of my gadget-friendly past), but I must say I was wrong. I use it all the time. It's really convenient for two people (most have small capacities) when you want to do something quick and easy without heating up the entire kitchen with the oven. I've just noticed that Ninja has released a new Foodi combination oven that looks intriguing. Doubles as air fryer, toaster oven, etc. Best part is it's a rectangular design that folds up to save counter space. May want to check that out if space is an issue.
no avatar
User

Jerry C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:33 am

Buechel

by Jerry C » Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:08 pm

I've been on the fence for several months about air fryers/convection ovens. Thought the air fryer would be too small and the oven would take up valuable counter space.

My 30 year old son swears by his air fryer...but I just haven't been able to pull the trigger. Well, this thread got me back on my mental debate and with black Friday deals galore I thought it's time at these price points.

Pulled the trigger the other night on a 4 quart air fryer from Bella (pro series) sold by Best Buy for $40. It is due here Thursday, so wings by Friday (maybe Thursday if it gets here in time).

Share some of your favorite air fryer wing recipes (and other air fryer recipes).
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:02 am

I can't speak on cooking recipes. Someone else may want to share in that regard.

But something like frozen taquitos, for example. Previously, if I bought a pack, I would either have to put them in the microwave (don't need to explain that result!) or in an oven (or a frying pan). The oven takes time to heat and time to cook, not to mention the unwanted heat in the kitchen during the summer months. So I would rarely do that. But with an air fryer, I heat it up for about 1-2 minutes, throw in 4-5 corn shell taquitos, cook about 10 minutes at most and voila! The same holds true for items such as frozen egg rolls.

These are not gourmet items, but quick snack or accompaniments to something larger. Also, instead of wings, I can just throw in 4-5 chicken legs prerolled in hot sauce or bbq sauce and 20 minutes later--voila again! Its also great for french fries, frozen or fresh--very little oil (if any at all) and nice, crispy results.

So I use it for simple items that would normally require an oven, or to reheat something that is much better returned to its original, crispier form than soggy, rubbery microwave form. This is true for rewarming pizza!
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:47 am

Not really recipe-related, but probably the most important thing to remember is not to over-crowd the food. You often see pictures in the ads with the basket filled to the brim with french fries, wings, etc. That's not the way to do it. There needs to be space for the air to circulate around the food in order to get even cooking/crisping (one reason I prefer to use it for steak fries rather than thinner cut fries--easier to space). Many air fryers have a rack where you can layer food without it touching. I use that a lot.
no avatar
User

Ray Griffith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:39 pm

Highlands

by Ray Griffith » Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:07 am

Who serves Buffalo wings that aren’t mutant level large? Many think that large plump wings are a good thing. Not me. Among other reasons, the smaller ones are crispier and have a better texture.
no avatar
User

Nora Boyle

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:24 pm

Clifton

by Nora Boyle » Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:13 pm

I’m a huge fan of Big Al’s on mellwood. Not mutantly large and the Mike’s sauce is Buffalo but with some little umami in it like soy sauce or something. Just a touch of savory.