Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Quick return to Louisville

no avatar
User

Alanna H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:11 pm

Colorado Springs

Quick return to Louisville

by Alanna H » Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:55 pm

I flew back to Louisville this past weekend to take my granddaughter trick or treating. I haven't seen her or my daughter for a year, and even though we facetime daily, I couldn't take it any longer. So flew into Cinci on Friday and flew back home Monday.

Due to COVID and time constraints, we didn't do much dining but here's what we hit up. Don't go into this expecting to see anything impressive, lol.

SELENA'S: I'd been there for dinner a couple times when I lived in Louisville, but not brunch. We sat out on their enclosed patio. My aunt was mad because when she phoned in the reservation she'd been assured multiple times that it was fully outdoors. That definitely wasn't the case. There were six of us, and we were the only ones in that part of the patio. It was nice and warm, but as the sun rose higher and shone in the windows we were getting miserably hot.
I ordered a salad with chicken on it and a side of fried green tomatoes. My cousin ordered eggs benedict. I've never had that dish before, because I always assumed hollandaise sauce was/tasted cheesy and I hate hate hate cheese. I did ask my cousin if I could try a bite, however. And WOW! Not cheesy at all, and I have a new favorite dish! She didn't want to take her leftovers home, so I got half of it and would have licked the plate clean if I hadn't been in public.

BLAZE PIZZA: I am a Blaze addict and the only one in Colorado closed down over a year ago. I was not missing my chance to get it.

WHITE CASTLE: They don't have Whitey One-Bites out here. You can buy a case of Big Red at the store, but I don't keep pop in my house. So I needed both a WC fix and to get my favorite pop. One slider and a few sips of my drink and I felt disgustingly sick. Fix met for the next year.

PENN STATION: Again, we don't have PS here in Colorado Springs. The philly steak chain they do have is not good.

CRACKER BARREL: This is the one chain sit down restaurant I will admit to liking. My granddaughter asked for it, and Nonna will give her anything she wants. Sue me.

But the thing I was most excited about was going to Kroger and getting some Bloemer's chili base. Since it's regional to Louisville they don't sell it at Kroger out here. I haven't had chili in over two years. Tried some other base mix when I moved out and didn't care for it. I froze 5 tubs of Bloemer's hot base and stuck them in my luggage. They're good until next spring, so I will finally get to have chili this winter season!

So many delicious sounding restaurants have opened since I left, that I would have loved to try. Hopefully when Baby Girl #2 arrives in a few months I'll get to come back for a longer stay and try some of them out!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Quick return to Louisville

by Robin Garr » Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:44 am

Thanks for the report, Alanna! I'm glad you enjoyed your quick visit, and best wishes with Baby #2!