Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

No ghosties, no ghoulies: Hillcrest Tavern offers pure comfo

by Robin Garr » Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:19 am

No ghosties, no ghoulies: Hillcrest Tavern offers pure comfort

Hillcrest Tavern's patty melt was outstanding. It even maintained a little pink at the center after the drive home.

Halloween has come and gone, taking with it another piece of collateral damage from the pandemic: There was no Hillcrest Avenue halloween decoration extravaganza this year.

But there is still a doggone good reason to go to Hillcrest – or to be more exact, to cross the railroad tracks, turn left onto Frankfort Avenue, and drive a few blocks past Louisville Water Co. to Hillcrest Tavern.

You won’t be sorry. The bar-style comfort food at this relatively new Crescent Hill eatery is good enough to help us forget the ghosties and ghoulies and things that didn’t go bump in the night this year.

Hillcrest Tavern opened in August 2019, joining a growing cluster of bars and eateries – FABD, Patrick's, and Hooked on Frankfort – in this busy block where Crescent Hill starts edging toward St. Matthews.

It gained immediate popularity. Starting with exposed brick, high ceilings, and multi-paned front windows, it doubled down with vintage neon local beer signs and a spectacular antique bar. That iconic 120-year-old mahogany Mont Oro bar was made by Brunswick, the famed billiards table maker. It makes an evocative home for Hillcrest’s extensive bourbon collection, beers and wines.

Owners Dan Borsch and Scott Lukemire also own the Old Louisville Tavern as well as the Toonerville Deli, Burger Boy, and Burger Girl restaurants and have won praise for them all.

Co-owner Scott Lukemire serves as chef over the group’s kitchens, and, Borsch said, “has spent the last seven years at the Old Louisville Tavern perfecting our scratch-made sauces and recipes while training all our cooks to be focused on executing every order to our high standards, including to-go orders. We are always looking at ways to improve our operations and continue to tweak recipes in the process.”

In the face of the pandemic, Borsch said, the team overhauled its to-go operations to ensure quality, including premium packaging and intense staff training. They’re focused on pandemic-level sanitation and constantly working to keep the restaurants’ environment safe.

Hillcrest’s menu is similar to Old Louisville Tavern’s. It’s bar food all right, comfortable and unthreatening, yet it’s elevated here and there with touches that go beyond the ordinary. ...

Read the complete article on LouisvilleHotBytes,
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/hillc ... rn-comfort

You'll also find this review in LEO Weekly's Food & Drink section today.
http://www.leoweekly.com/category/food-drink/

Hillcrest Tavern
3212 Frankfort Ave.
290-6917
http://hillcresttavern.com
Facebook: http://bit.ly/HillcrestTavern
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

Re: No ghosties, no ghoulies: Hillcrest Tavern offers pure c

by James Natsis » Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:50 am

"....to cross the railroad tracks, turn left onto Frankfort Avenue, and drive a few blocks past Louisville Water Co. to Hillcrest Tavern."

You forgot to add, "and I managed to pull this off without even using my GPS, thank you very much!"
James J. Natsis
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:48 am

James Natsis wrote:You forgot to add, "and I managed to pull this off without even using my GPS, thank you very much!"

:lol: :lol: :lol: Hey, I know that neighborhood. I walk that neighborhood. My dentist is right next door!
User

Ron H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:10 pm

by Ron H » Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:46 pm

I've yet to try Hillcrest, but I will say that, all things considered, OLT does some great carry-out food that holds up well. I got some this Saturday and everything held up remarkably well. The fries were a little more done than I'd prefer, but YMMV on that.
"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2000 of something." - Mitch Hedberg
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:56 pm

Yeah, it would be surprising if Hillcrest and OLT didn't serve up similar chow, working from identical menus with the same recipes. Still, Hillcrest really exceeded expectations for me, even though I was expecting it to be good.
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:00 pm

I've said it before, but I'm a big fan of this ownership group. I started with Burger Boy (seriously, you gotta try the corned beef hash), then expanded to OLT and have hit up Hillcrest Tavern a time or two. Never had a bad meal. Dan seems to be around a lot, as well, especially considering their footprint. Great guy.
no avatar
User

Cynthia L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:46 pm

by Cynthia L » Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:11 pm

What is OLT
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:08 pm

Cynthia L wrote:What is OLT

Old Louisville Tavern
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:14 pm

Jay M. wrote:
Cynthia L wrote:What is OLT

Old Louisville Tavern

Thanks, Jay. I should have spelled it out. OLT and Hillcrest have the same owners, the same menu, and the same recipes. Both good spots for down home/diner fare.
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:27 pm

Hillcrest Tavern is right around the corner from us, and I really enjoy the food. The one time we were there on a Friday night (pre-COVID), it was too loud for conversation and hence wasn't a great choice for a family meal. But as a spot to watch a game or get takeout, I like it a lot. Their buffalo wings have become my go-to game day takeout when I'm craving wings to have while I watch football. They aren't as good as The Back Door's wings, but they're not bad.
User

Carol C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:26 pm

by Carol C » Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:19 pm

Agree, we love the food at Hillcrest. Try the Onion Rings!!! They are made in-house and use the same delicious, light and slightly spicy batter that is used for the fish, which is also excellent! Great place.