Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Lotsa praise for Lotsa Pasta

User

Ron H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:10 pm

Lotsa praise for Lotsa Pasta

by Ron H » Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:47 pm

It's pumpkin ravioli season, and so, I went to the Lotsa Pasta website and did an order for pick-up. The website is laid out well, everything you want is easy to find, and picking the order up from the deli counter was ridiculously easy. Unlike some other places I've been, the employees were wearing masks properly and were socially distanced, and my total time in the store itself was two minutes. We hear a lot about places that are doing things wrong, but not so much about places that are doing the right thing, and Lotsa Pasta is doing things as safely as possible in these times.

Also, if you're looking for the type of pepperoni that cups and gets charred on the edges when you bake it on a pizza, hit up the Lotsa Pasta deli, because it's perfect.
"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2000 of something." - Mitch Hedberg
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Lotsa praise for Lotsa Pasta

by Robin Garr » Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:59 pm

I've been a big fan of Lotsa Pasta from the very start ... I mean the original very start when they were on Bardstown Road opposite Highlands Kroger. Love those folks!
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:30 pm

The best folks, selection, and caring service! They make it possible for me to make Caldo Verde, with authentic Portuguese linguica sausage, and Greek Pastitsio, with authentic Misko #2 macaroni. Long may they reign!!
no avatar
User

Lora S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:51 am

by Lora S » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:32 pm

Speaking of pastichio, who has it on the menu? The Greek stall at Findlay market is my go to. Haven’t wanted to road trip in COVID times. Ed, I will pay big $$$ for homemade from a long time member of this forum!!!!
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:44 am

If there is anything I miss from my move from Top Hill Road to Shelby County, it's Lotsa Pasta.
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:27 pm

Lora S wrote:Speaking of pastichio, who has it on the menu? The Greek stall at Findlay market is my go to. Haven’t wanted to road trip in COVID times. Ed, I will pay big $$$ for homemade from a long time member of this forum!!!!

While that is thoughtful, Lora, I'll go one better! Here is the link for the recipe I use. Quite a few tasty treats on this site!

http://www.lerios.org/recipes/pastitsio.php

http://www.lerios.org/recipes/

Enjoy!!

Forgot to add that I make this about 90% of the time with Quorn Meatless Grounds. Substitute a whole 12 ounce package for the pound of minced beef the recipe calls for.
no avatar
User

Lora S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:51 am

by Lora S » Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:21 pm

Thank you Ed! I look forward to trying some of these and will post my results! I love recipe websites like you linked.
~~Lora
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

by MarieP » Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:55 pm

Lora S wrote:Speaking of pastichio, who has it on the menu? The Greek stall at Findlay market is my go to. Haven’t wanted to road trip in COVID times. Ed, I will pay big $$$ for homemade from a long time member of this forum!!!!

Little Greek Cafe in the Shelbyville Road Plaza has it. I wasn't as impressed with it though-- I much prefer their moussaka.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:15 pm

MarieP wrote:

Little Greek Cafe in the Shelbyville Road Plaza has it. I wasn't as impressed with it though-- I much prefer their moussaka.

I grew up in a Greek household in St Louis during the 60s-70s. The Greek traditions were still strong then: the Greek church didn't use any English in their service (except for a short translation of the sermon), most families were composed of parents coming from small towns and villages, and when we visited other families (which was quite often), the food was very authentic. I also spent mucho time in Greece later on staying at my aunts for months and enjoying homemade foods and wines.

So places like Little Greek, which I tried once for the heck of it, simply can not match the flavors produced for distribution or by youngsters following some sort of recipe. The place is fine for those who haven't really had good Greek food. Tzatziki's is pretty good for what they do. They also stated out front that they were not Greek, but rather inspired by that type of food---fair enough.

I would much rather eat in-house prepared Mediterranean, Indian, Ethiopian, Thai, etc. by people who grew up with those types of foods than to waste my drachmas on neo-Greek food.
James J. Natsis