Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

An observation about prices

no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

An observation about prices

by Richard S. » Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:14 am

Another recent post here jogged my memory about something I meant to mention a few weeks ago. I assume it's an effort to cope with having been shut down for months, but it seems as if the restaurants I've visited recently have raised prices significantly. We stopped in to one of my favorite spots recently for lunch only to find that my go-to dish has gone from $12 to $16. What that meant is that lunch for two is north of $50, more than I'm comfortable spending.

I sympathize with those struggling businesses and I don't know what else they could do, but I'm afraid that spot and a few others are off our rotation, just because we can't afford it.
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

Re: An observation about prices

by GaryF » Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:25 pm

I can assure you the restaurant is not gouging you- wholesale food prices have gone through the roof, in some cases doubled, during covid. The supply chain is disrupted, meat packers have slowed down and let off employees, natural disasters have destroyed crops- it all adds up to more expensive menu prices. If you don't believe it just look at the prices at Kroger or any local merchant.
So restaurant owners not only have diminished capacity, people's fears of eating in, and the additional cost of to go materials, but the added cost of product to deal with.
Restaurants are not making money at this time, they are barely squeaking by. I talk to restaurant owners and chefs every day and they are all trying to figure out how to give value during this crazy time, while at the same time holding on for dear life.
no avatar
User

Mike L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:58 am

by Mike L » Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:24 pm

I don't see how most of these restaurants are going to survive many more months. I've always understood that most restaurants can barely make a small profit during normal times. I hope I'm wrong.
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:45 am

Gary is correct. I’ve got family in the Monterey area and they tell me so many crops have been devastated. Prices will continue to rise.
All the more reason to go back to local farmers and crops.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:26 pm

The Cali wildfires are not helping. Lettuce has gone up 1.5x its normal price. Beef markets are finally starting to stabilize, but pork and chicken are still higher than usual. Cheese prices are super high right now and citrus markets are also volatile. It's hard to effectively price anything right now with any consistency.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY