Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

Annual Lenten Post ..... AKA Sumthing Fishy's Going On!

by Bill Veneman » Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:14 pm

Fish Fry Events, Special Meatless Friday Fun Stuff?

Post 'em here if you got it.........
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Annual Lenton Post ..... AKA Sumthing Fishy's Going On!

by Robin Garr » Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:16 pm

Bill Veneman wrote:Fish Fry Events, Special Meatless Friday Fun Stuff?

Post 'em here if you got it.........

Yum yum!

Bill, coming soon, the new issue of Food & Dining, which will be out within the next week or so, features fish sandwiches and includes a lot of specific recommendations.

I'll also have a much shorter and more wacky takeout on a few fish sandwiches in Wednesday's LEO. With a headline quite similar to yours ... great minds think alike!
no avatar
User

Michele Melillo-Clem

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:26 am

East Market Street

by Michele Melillo-Clem » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:21 pm

At Melillo's we'll have tuna salad on Ash Wednesday and every Friday lunch during Lent. We also have our regular items for Lenten diners which include Aglio e Olio with Shrimp, Pasta with Seafood, Fettuccini, Eggplant Parm, etc. On Fat Tuesday, we will be donating part of our dinner proceeds to the Nativity Academy. Our regular menu will be offered along with Mama's Jambalaya Italiano.
It's the hand of the cook that expresses the heart.

Michele Melillo-Clem
no avatar
User

Scott Schamel

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:02 am

Louisville, KY

by Scott Schamel » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:46 pm

Also doing tuna salad for lunch on Ash Wednesday, but Friday lunch special looks like Bruschette Pesci over Spaghetti Pomodoro.
no avatar
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:48 pm

Highlands

by Jackie R. » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:22 am

Scott, what restaurant do you own?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:24 am

Jackie R. wrote:Scott, what restaurant do you own?

In case Scott doesn't get in this morning, Jackie, he's the chef at Bluegrass Bistro in the Derby City Antique Mall out in the old red-brick school on Old Bardstown Road in Buechel. He does great stuff. Ask him about Possum Pie! ;)
no avatar
User

Scott Schamel

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:02 am

Louisville, KY

by Scott Schamel » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:55 am

Possums have been hard to come by here lately. Must be the weather..... :lol:
no avatar
User

Mike Ross

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:01 pm

by Mike Ross » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:04 pm

SUSTAINABLE LENTEN FISH SPECIALS AT MERIDIAN CAFÉ

Beginning Friday February 8th, 2008, Chef Mike Ross will begin offering SUSTAINABLE fish specials on Fridays at Meridian Café!

These specials will include Smaller, fresh, line-caught, (24 hours out of the water), sustainable fish such as Tuna, Mahi-Mahi, Snappers, Grouper, and more!

Today's special (Feb. 8th):Pan seared sustainable yellow fin tuna served over an artichoke and red pepper risotto. Finished simply with olive oil and a lemon wedge.

Meridian Café is open Mon-Sat 8am- 3pm

For further information: 502-897-9703
Email address: the.Meridian.cafe@gmail.com
no avatar
User

Rob_DeLessio

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:25 pm

by Rob_DeLessio » Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:28 pm

Don't forget my very favorite, The Fishery....they do use authentic Icelandic Cod, and believe me, there may be one other place in town that uses it. They are small, and IMO, the very, very best. It's right everytime. I can't believe you left them out, Robin.
no avatar
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:49 pm

As has been mentioned, this is a town that loves its fried fish. It may be easier to list the places that serve a bad fish sandwich since we have so many good ones in town.

The only place that comes to mind in the bad category is Arby's. Sweet mother of pearl, that may have actually been the worst sandwich I have ever tasted. It had no semblance of fish flavor at all. It tasted like suet and kerosene, a flavor profile that is best avoided in any meal.
no avatar
User

Lois Mauk

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:08 pm

Jeffersonville, Indiana

by Lois Mauk » Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:04 pm

Ed Vermillion wrote:. . . It tasted like suet and kerosene, a flavor profile that is best avoided in any meal.

OMG! ROFLMAO!! That is a hysterical line.
But, I tried their sandwich a couple of years ago. It was just NASTY!! Spit it out and threw it a away. Ick!
Last edited by Lois Mauk on Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

by Doogy R » Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:04 pm

There are many fish sandy's I like better than the Mickey D's Filet-O-Fish, but sometimes I just get a hankering for 1 or 2. I love their tartar sauce.

I have to agree about Arby's. I tried their fish sandy last week and it was horrible. I think it picked up the awful taste because they cook everything in the same oil and they keep the oil for way too long. It can only last so long, especially when you don't dedicate it to one product.

Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
no avatar
User

Lois Mauk

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:08 pm

Jeffersonville, Indiana

by Lois Mauk » Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:08 pm

Picked up a 10 oz. bottle of Moby Dick's tartar sauce a couple of weeks ago. It really is better than the stuff in the little packets.

BTW, they are frying in Trans Fat free oil now. I think they ought to mention that on their website along with their new Tilapia sandwich.

http://www.awhaleofasandwich.com/
no avatar
User

BillAndrews

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:40 pm

by BillAndrews » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:42 pm

I had the fish sandwich at the Shady Lane Cafe today, with homemade potato chips. Absolutely perfect. Wish I had one now.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:47 am

Rob_DeLessio wrote:Don't forget my very favorite, The Fishery....they do use authentic Icelandic Cod, and believe me, there may be one other place in town that uses it. They are small, and IMO, the very, very best. It's right everytime. I can't believe you left them out, Robin.

Couple of comments:

1. This article did not purport to represent the "best" fish sandwiches. It was a random sampling of four fish sandwiches from four places chosen to represent a variety (and places that I had either never reviewed or not for ages).

2. Cod is the fish of choice for the Louisville fish sandwich, and much of it is Icelandic. It's simply not accurate for one place to claim that this is unique or even uncommon. It's good stuff, and that's why a lot of them use it. (Also, there's no significant species difference between Icelandic and Grand Banks cod. Cod is cod, and it's generally of high quslity - which is why there's still a sustainability problem with it. But the nationality of the fishermen doesn't make much difference.)
Next