Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Parlour’s pizzas hold up all the way home

by Robin Garr » Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:47 am

Parlour’s pizzas hold up all the way home

Parlour's veggie pizza boasts fresh, quality toppings, a good, thin, bread-like crust, and a spicy fresh tomato sauce topped with mozzerella and grated parmesan.

I’ve been doing my small part to keep local restaurants alive during the pandemic by giving them my takeout business, but there’s a problem with that: I really hate eating lunch on my lap in the car.

I want to take the food home, dammit! I want to plate it nicely and enjoy it in a relaxed setting. But I can't keep hot food hot and the cold food cold for very long. I’m still trying to figure this out. The best I’ve come up with so far is either to order dishes that are good at room temperature, or fare that takes well to reheating.

Then it hit me: Pizza! Pizza is that rare dish that’s delicious sizzling, melting hot, but also tastes perfectly good at room temperature, and offers its own special charms when you pull a slice out of the refrigerator, ice-cold!

Happily, Jeffersonville’s popular Parlour, an excellent pizzeria at the north end of the Big Four bridge, just opened its second branch on Frankfort Avenue, quickly taking over from the recently closed Craft House.

Apparently undeterred by the pandemic and its social-distancing limitations, Craft Culture Concepts, the new corporate owner of both Parlours, not only turned around the Frankfort Avenue space in less than two weeks, it also plans to open two more restaurants soon – Smoked on Second and One Thirty Three Bar + Bites – in the space formerly occupied by Griff’s at 133 W. Liberty St.

The move from Craft House’s broad international menu to a simple pizzeria offering makes sense to me in these troubled times. Pizza has always been a popular takeout dish, fast, convenient, and good warm or cold. On the other hand, pandemic or not, management is happy to welcome us for pizza and a pint from their many beer taps. “We're all about bringing people together in a laid-back atmosphere,” the restaurant’s Facebook page assures us.

That’s nice of them, but we went with takeout anyway. Curbside pickup didn’t seem to be available, but I didn’t mind, as this gave me a chance to run in without getting close to anyone, and of course to take a quick look around. Yep, same place, although the wall now bears “Parlour - Pizza and Pints” in white paint on gray.

The menu is primarily about pizza, of course, and it is very good pizza indeed. I’ve rated pizza highly at the Jeffersonville shop, and I think our pie from Frankfort Avenue may even be a step or two ahead. ...

Read the complete article on LouisvilleHotBytes,
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/parlour-pizza

You'll also find this review in LEO Weekly's Food & Drink section today.
http://www.leoweekly.com/category/food-drink/

Parlour on Frankfort
2636 Frankfort Ave.
895-9400
http://eatparlourpizza.com
https://facebook.com/ParlouronFrankfort
no avatar
User

Nathaniel C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:50 pm

Re: Parlour’s pizzas hold up all the way home

by Nathaniel C » Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:52 am

There's a middle ground to the problem you described. I ordered a couple of carryout dishes from Mami Monchitas in Frankfort the other night, popped them in a cooler (with no ice), and immediately drove home. They were still warm and I didn't have to reheat them. Might be harder with pizza unless you have one of those bags the delivery drivers use.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:11 pm

Thanks for the tip, Nathaniel! I've thought about that, but as you say, it's a middle ground between letting it cool off too much and letting it overcook in an airtight container. I've noticed a lot of places will put food in a box but cut a notch in the box for moisture to escape, at least in theory! :)

So could you tell us a little about Mami Monchitas! Maybe as a separate post? I generally hit up Rick's White Light when I'm in Frankfort, expecially now that the Pink Pig is gone <sob>, but a decent Mexican place would be worth keeping on file. :)
no avatar
User

Nathaniel C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:50 pm

by Nathaniel C » Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:35 pm

Tried the Deluxe pizza and an order of breadsticks to go tonight. Easy online ordering process and friendly hostess. My goodies were on the warming rack ready to be picked up when I arrived. Not many people dining in a little after 6:00 on a Wednesday night. I'd feel safe dining in, given the very low density of people.

The vittles were very good, but I think Coal's is still my favorite. The cheese dip for the breadsticks is excellent. The garlic sauce is really good. Less garlicy than others I've had. The pizza just didn't seem that special. Two slices of the 13" and one breadstick made a very filling dinner, so I'll have leftovers--maybe I'll like it better tomorrow.
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:47 am

We went Wednesday night and sat outside on the rear patio. Patio felt very safe with social distancing enforced. Pizza was good, and the value was extraordinary. We will be back.