Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Danish Express

no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

Danish Express

by MarieP » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:50 am

This morning, I noticed that the Danish Express now has signs out front that say "Cafe," and it appears to be a coffee shop of some sort. I googled and found that someone on Yelp had marked Danish Express as being closed. I used to go there a lot waaaay back when it was where Lotsa Pasta is now on Lexington. I thought their Danishes sadly started to taste undercooked shortly before they moved to Cannons, and I only went back once since then (the person in front of me got the last Danish, so I didn't get to try one again). My eggs/bacon/toast were decent. It always looked closed to me anyway...but there apparently were regulars. Anyone know what's going on?

UPDATE: I found this website for Abol Cafe, an Ethiopian coffee shop. Looks intriguing! The Chechebsa (similar to bread pudding) is definitely something I'll try. Though now, I won't get to see if the Danishes were still undercooked... https://abollouisville.com/

I also found this menu. Apparently the coffee shop wants to expand the menu to dinner at some point. https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/abol-ca ... v0FmcPHo6g
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Danish Express

by Robin Garr » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:39 am

That's quite an interesting development! Thanks for the report, Marie! I'd like to try it, although I'm wondering how they can handle social distancing in that tiny space. Looking at the photo gallery on the website, I have a nervous feeling that they didn't even try. :(
no avatar
User

Heather L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

Re: Danish Express

by Heather L » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:42 am

Robin Garr wrote:That's quite an interesting development! Thanks for the report, Marie! I'd like to try it, although I'm wondering how they can handle social distancing in that tiny space. Looking at the photo gallery on the website, I have a nervous feeling that they didn't even try. :(

Can't speak to how they do things all of the time but when I drive by, there is frequently a small tent set up outside.
....And be faithful to
Local Merchants Too.
Never buy far off
What you can buy near home.....
(Wendell Berry)