Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

What pandemic? El Mundo Highlands is up and running

by Robin Garr » Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:33 am

What pandemic? El Mundo Highlands is up and running

El Mundo Highlands' juicy, creamy carnitas is fashioned from pastured pork that's deliciously spiced, roasted, then flash-fried in the old Mexican tradition.

It takes a certain bold spirit and lack of risk aversion to open a new restaurant during a pandemic when, at best, restaurants face an extraordinary burden of regulation for our health and safety.

That didn’t slow down the folks at El Mundo, though. Not only did they open their second restaurant – El Mundo Highlands – last month, but they did it in the oversize (4,000 square-foot, four-levels) space that long housed Asiatique and much more briefly its successor, Flavour Restaurant.

I got only a quick glimpse inside during a visit to pick up takeout lunch, but it’s still sprawling and stylish, with a large main-floor bar that looks like a great place to have a drink.

I’ll get back there eventually for that drink and dinner, but let’s get this covid-19 thing out of the way first, mmkay? Meanwhile I’m doing curbside or takeout, and I can tell you that El Mundo Highlands is handling those important functions remarkably well.

El Mundo's website clearly outlines expectations and is pretty insistent about our following the rules, and it goes into quite a bit of detail about that. Summing up: Make a reservation, wash and sanitize, wear you mask unless you are actively eating and drinking, and stay seated. Arrive on time – you have a 10-minute window. Get your menu digitally if you can.

Also, you have 1 hour, 15 minutes to dine in, starting at the time of your reservation. Yes, this is strict, but, the website points out: "Unfortunately, for dine-in to remain financially viable for us as a small restaurant, we need to turn these tables at that rate in order to make it by on razor-thin margins."

That's fair. Don't gripe, follow the rules, enjoy your meal.

Takeout orders must be placed and paid for online, including a mandatory 18 percent tip. A separate pickup entrance admits you – one person at a time – to a small, spanking-clean lobby where your bagged meal will be ready for you to pick up without coming into contact with anyone. Don't come in until your assigned time, and don't come in if someone else is already in there. "Thank you for your continued support," the website adds. "It means the world to us!"

In these troubled times, I truly believe that. ...

Read the complete article on LouisvilleHotBytes,
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/el-mundo-highlands

You'll also find this review in LEO Weekly's Food & Drink section today.
http://www.leoweekly.com/category/food-drink/

El Mundo Highlands
1767 Bardstown Road
384-5633
http://502elmundo.com
https://facebook.com/502elmundo
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

Re: What pandemic? El Mundo Highlands is up and running

by James Natsis » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:34 am

Good to see some positive news on the restaurant front. Actually, I must admit that if one had asked for my prognostics 3-4 months ago regarding the state of restaurants in town, it would have been dire. Sure, many have died and will be buried. But surprisingly, not only have most survived, but others are cropping up anew, or are taking over old digs, e.g. Agave and Rye to Hull and High Water; Del Friscos to Z's Oyster Bar; Christmas Morning Cafe to Italian Table, etc.

We've dined at El Mundo a few times over the years--good stuff! I wouldn't get a carry out at either location because they are both too far from home, and I don't normally get carryouts of anything beyond Chinese food---I prefer to enjoy the meal while seated in the ambiance that I am paying for as part of the price. As for a mandatory 18% to put the food in carryout garb---huh un! Have I been giving very generous tips since the covid outbreak? Most definitely. ................ is it ok to charge a mandatory 18% for carryouts if people will pay for it---you bet! Supply and demand. I just wouldn't be one of the demanders based on principle, and based on the supply of so many other restaurants nearby.
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

Nathaniel C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:50 pm

by Nathaniel C » Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:20 pm

Glad to see them expanding. I've eaten at the original, tiny location several times, and it's delicious.

I'm not sure about the mandatory take-out tip, either. I've been leaving 20% on take-out and over 20% when I've dined in, because I want to do everything I can to help our restaurants (and the people who work there) to stay afloat.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:16 pm

I wondered about the mandatory tip, but in the light of their website statement about narrow margins and doing what they have to do, I decided I was okay with it. My thinking: I, too, pay more than 20 percent during the pandemic, and I think most people who care about the local restaurant industry do. If some people err on the cheap side, well, the mandatory amount is for them, right? :)