Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Matt Winn Steakhouse

User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

Matt Winn Steakhouse

by Ron Johnson » Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:04 pm

Seems like an odd time to open an upscale steakhouse in Louisville, and especially at Churchill Downs. But, it looks like they did.
https://www.mattwinnsteakhouse.com/
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Matt Winn Steakhouse

by Robin Garr » Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:29 pm

Because the Labor Day Derby with some people in the stands is coming up?
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:20 pm

Seems to set a new price point for Louisville steakhouses! I think two can eat at Morton's for what one will cost here!
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Willie Myers

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:53 pm

by Willie Myers » Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:50 am

always feel the least bit uncomfortable, writing a negative restaurant review - especially in this pseudo-post-pandemic period - but we had such a disappointing experience the other night that - given what they're asking for a meal - I wanted to let folks know that there are many *much* better options here in town.

On the "plus" side - and there are a couple of "pluses", to be sure - they have maybe the most spectacular view of any restaurant in the city! You're up on the 6th (I think) floor, on what used to be "Millionaire's Row", just above the finish line looking down on the track and across the city skyline. We got there at 7:00p, so they'd finished racing for the day, but I suspect you could book earlier and watch a race or two from up there! You get to see the track and a great skyline view over in to Indiana. Again, a world-class view!
Another thing to note were a couple of very nice French burgandies by the glass at reasonable prices. And a fine local bourbon, as well. But be prepared to be overwhelmed with a *huge* selection to burrow through!

But it kind of ends there.....salmon starter was nice, but steaks were both overdone (there should be *some* pink in a medium) and sides with were a disappointment. When I inquired about a baked potato to go with my steak, I got a 5-minute lecture on why baked potatoes were not an appropriate accompaniment for a steak and how hard they were to store?...
huh?....
((have you ever been to a steakhouse that DIDN'T offer a baked potato?))
Oh yes, it's usually a custom to offer steak knives whne serving steaks? Ours took a request and a few minutes to arrive.
All of this on an evening that was well less than 50% full.

We wrapped up and inquired about their vaunted "desert trolley" and got another lengthy explanation about why they couldn't offer teh desert trolley - or any of their other "trollies", for that matter....

All in all, just an uncomfortable evening and I'd doubt we'll return or recommend. Again, that view is pretty spectacular but if Matt Wynn's is going to continue to be Louisville's priciest evening out, it's going to ramp up service and food to make it feel worthwhile....
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:28 am

I have to ask the question, how did you order your steak to be cooked? You said it was overcooked but I'm assuming you didn't order it anything less than medium well if it had no pink. I normally order them medium rare which is a cool red center which is how most state connoisseurs say is the best way to get them cooked! I certainly do agree about the baked potato, what did they suggest as an alternative? I personally would be concerned about the dessert cart because we never seem to get there anyway!

Sorry to hear about your overall bad experience.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:24 am

They do have a few potato-based options on the menu. Not having a baked is less bothersome to me that the fact was accompanied by a lecture about the "inappropriateness" of his preferred request. And potatoes are hard to store? That's a new one to me.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:23 pm

I can understand Silvio's frustration given their on line menu clearly lists a "loaded potato" as well as mentioning their dessert trolley. I hate it when a posted on-line menu doesn't sync with the actual menu. Is it really that hard to update an on-line page?
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:36 pm

Carla G wrote:I can understand Silvio's frustration given their on line menu clearly lists a "loaded potato" as well as mentioning their dessert trolley. I hate it when a posted on-line menu doesn't sync with the actual menu. Is it really that hard to update an on-line page?

Ha, this is very true. Lately I’ve found myself more often consulting the pictures on Google maps to see the current menu.
no avatar
User

Willie Myers

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:53 pm

by Willie Myers » Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:05 am

Mark R. wrote:I have to ask the question, how did you order your steak to be cooked?

hey Mark! Since you "have to ask", we ordered both the Filet and the (NY) Strip "medium". We were told that would be slight, pink centers, which we acknowledged. What arrived (half hour or more later) were crispy, charred steaks with grey centers. *VERY* tasty, mind you, but not what we were hoping for?

Mark R. wrote:You said it was overcooked but I'm assuming...

ah, ah, ah...no "assuming" now.... we know what happens when you "assume"!

Mark R. wrote:I normally order them medium rare ...most state connoisseurs say is the best way to get them cooked!

hmmm...to each, truly their own!

Mark R. wrote:I certainly do agree about the baked potato, what did they suggest as an alternative?

french fries! you can fancy 'em up and call 'em "pomme frites w/roasted Shallot Aioli" or whatever you like, but they were still french fries. They offered that and mashed potatoes, but here's an odd thing.... their online menu shows "Loaded Marbled POtatoes", etc. which sounds an awful lot like a baked potato. But I didn't see that on the evening's menu, nor was it offered...
weird.....
Mark R. wrote:Sorry to hear about your overall bad experience.

yes, thanks for that. again, it's such a great venue that I hope they'll up their game and make it a worthwhile experience!