Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

J. Gumbo's Review

no avatar
User

Vic Simon

{ RANK }

Just got here

Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:11 am

Highlands

J. Gumbo's Review

by Vic Simon » Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:03 pm

Thanks for your review in Leo setting the original J.Gumbo's apart from the franchises. I was happy (at first) to see the Baxter Avenue location appear, as it's directly on my route home from work. I'm not sure how many times I stopped there for carryout (just a couple, I think), but I certainly remember the last.

The food I'd brought home was strikingly similar to the worst-possible frozen dinner. There were two flavors present: hot sauce and water. Oh, wait, water's not a flavor, is it? I felt SO let down. I emailed the corporate website, and did get a gracious reply/apology and an offer of free dinners and please come speak to the owners and GM. I never went back, and I drive by the place at least twice a day.

My friends on Frankfort, however, have never let me down, and I've been back many times since "the incident." They're on top of it, just as you said, and the food's always great.

J.Gumbo's email reply offered personnel changes at the Baxter location as the primary excuse for the food, but I thought, what does that have to do with it? It's the commissary, not the guy behind the counter spooning it out. WHY did they change the recipes? Did they really think we wouldn't know the difference?
no avatar
User

Vic Simon

{ RANK }

Just got here

Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:11 am

Highlands

J. Gumbo's Review

by Vic Simon » Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:06 pm

Oops! Meant to address my last post to Robin, re: his review in 01-30-2008 issue of LEO.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: J. Gumbo's Review

by Robin Garr » Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:15 pm

Vic Simon wrote:Oops! Meant to address my last post to Robin, re: his review in 01-30-2008 issue of LEO.

Vic, thanks for the note, and welcome to the forum! It's okay to start another topic. I hope the J. Gumbo's folks will listen to their public ... the chain could really thrive if they could ensure the kind of consistency across all the properties that they seem to be able to achieve in Clifton.