Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Let's take Oskar's out for a picnic!

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Let's take Oskar's out for a picnic!

by Robin Garr » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:48 am

Let's take Oskar's out on a picnic!

Delicious corned beef and fresh sauerkraut makes a memorable slider from Oskar's.

I’ve been doing a lot of takeout dining in the past couple of months, and I’m content with that.

But I have one big problem with takeout: Unless I choose from a handful of restaurants within a five-minute drive from my house, my takeout dinner is likely to be lukewarm or worse by the time I get it on the table.

The solution is obvious, especially in summer time: Let’s have a picnic! Select a restaurant with a park nearby Grab your meal and hustle it to the nearest shady glen. Breakfast, lunch, or dinner is served!

On the surface, this seems easy. Louisville is a city of parks, so there’s likely to be some public facility, large or small, within a few minutes of any eatery in town. But I’m picky. I want a picnic table, and I want it in the shade, preferably with a scenic view. I want to be able to get to that table quickly without a time-consuming hike from the parking lot.

This narrows the quest, but I still got scores of useful suggestions when I asked about eateries near parks on social media the other day.

Just about every place along Bardstown Road in the Highlands is close to Cherokee Park, for example, but making a straight line to the nearest picnic table may be a challenge. Tyler Park might be a quicker pick.

In Schnitzelburg, tiny Emerson Park is a two-minute walk from Monnik Beer Company and just about as close to the neighborhood’s many other eateries.

River House and Kingfish are an easy walk from the riverfront parks. The excellent fare at Galan’s and other West End restaurants invites a quick trip to Shawnee park. South End spots including the restaurants in Colonial Gardens plus Iroquois Pizza are a short walk from Iroquois Park.

And so it goes. It shouldn’t be hard to find a restaurant and park combination that’s just right for you. A light bulb went off over my head when I remembered that Oskar’s Slider Bar, a favorite, is just a couple of minutes away from George Rogers Clark Park.

A batch of Oskar’s delicious sliders stayed good and warm in their individual foil packets during the short trip, and we found an ideal spot under a big shade tree. ...

Read the complete article on LouisvilleHotBytes,
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/oskars-picnic

You'll also find this review in LEO Weekly's Food & Drink section today.
http://www.leoweekly.com/category/food-drink/

Oskar’s Slider Bar
3799 Poplar Level Road
395-9010
http://oskarssliderbar.com
https://facebook.com/oskarslouisville
https://instagram.com/oskarssliderbar
no avatar
User

Ron H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:10 pm

Re: Let's take Oskar's out for a picnic!

by Ron H » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:17 am

I love Oskar's, and I've never had a bad slider from there, but I have the same problem as you. I'll order two or three and a side, then realize I could cheerfully eat two or three more. Not because I'm still hungry, but because they're so tasty it's hard to stop myself!
"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2000 of something." - Mitch Hedberg
no avatar
User

Alexis Rich

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:24 pm

by Alexis Rich » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:34 pm

We have eaten Oskar's more than any other takeout during the pandemic. Their online ordering has been user-friendly from the get-go and I love that they package to-go orders in paper. (Nothing ruins an after meal experience more than a mountain of styrofoam that will be around a lot longer than I will.) Robin is right, every slider is tastier than the next and I too could eat a half dozen any day. But I don't because I know that dessert from Smor Nordic bakery is going to be ridiculously tasty and I need to save room. We've learned to order in multiples. The offerings change weekly and that keeps things fun.

So, if you go, order 2 dessert specials. Trust me.
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:15 pm

Pre-Covid we took the kids there when they came home from London. Now, it’s my English son-in-law’s favorite place. Points to them too for skillfully managing the new challenges.
Gravlax gravlax gravlax gravlax!
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:22 pm

Not sure if I’ve seen this mentioned, but the Huot empire has added a third place.

https://www.smornordicbakeri.com/

They’ve been open two weeks and have limited weekend hours for now (in addition to baking for Grind and Oskars), but will hopefully be in full-time soon.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:17 pm

SilvioM wrote:Not sure if I’ve seen this mentioned, but the Huot empire has added a third place.

https://www.smornordicbakeri.com/

They’ve been open two weeks and have limited weekend hours for now (in addition to baking for Grind and Oskars), but will hopefully be in full-time soon.

Nope, I guess they haven't been publicizing it, but it sounds worth an immediate trip! 3797/2799 Poplar Level, so it's the space right next door to Oskar's.
no avatar
User

Nathaniel C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:50 pm

by Nathaniel C » Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:08 pm

Alexis Rich wrote:(Nothing ruins an after meal experience more than a mountain of styrofoam that will be around a lot longer than I will.)

I've wondered about that, as well. Most styrofoam I get is marked that it can be recycled, but my understanding is that most of the local providers won't recycle it?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:42 pm

Nathaniel C wrote:
Alexis Rich wrote:(Nothing ruins an after meal experience more than a mountain of styrofoam that will be around a lot longer than I will.)

I've wondered about that, as well. Most styrofoam I get is marked that it can be recycled, but my understanding is that most of the local providers won't recycle it?

Nathaniel, I'm not an expert at all, but I believe styrofoam (and its clear cousins) is Triangle 6, which requires special processing. A foam products factory over on the north side of New Albany used to let you drop it there, but that stopped, and I'm quite sure that neither Louisville recycling or Rumke and the other suburban recyclers won't take it.

Here's what the city cays. I'm surprised to see Foam Fabricators mentioned. I don't now if they've started up again or if the city info is years obsolete. I just sent an email to Foam Fabricators. I'll report here if I hear back.

STYROFOAM (MOLDED POLYSTYRENE)
Molded Polystyrene (Styrofoam) is NOT accepted in any of Louisville Metro's Recycling
Programs. This product is generally found as packing material for computers,
appliances, fragile items, etc. (This does not include styrofoam packing peanuts)
However, product that is clean, white and contained (bagged) may be taken to:

Foam Fabricators, Inc.
950 Progress Boulevard
New Albany, IN 47150
948-1696
There is a receiving bin where citizens may place this material for recycling. For
large quantities, please phone the number listed above and make an appointment for
delivery.
On behalf of Louisville Metro Government, we wish to thank Foam Fabricators
for being such good neighbors and allowing our residents to recycle this material!
Many 'pack-and-ship' type stores will accept peanuts or polystyrene packing materials,
so call to check with the location nearest you.
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:12 pm

When I first posted, they didn't have a menu up, but do now. I'm not big on sweets, but it kind of looks insanely good. And I'm a big cardamom fan, a lead spice on many of the items.

https://www.smornordicbakeri.com/menu