Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

What would you do?

no avatar
User

BevP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat May 01, 2010 11:06 pm

Bullitt County KY

What would you do?

by BevP » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:48 pm

I am in a bit of a quandry , and I would like some opinions. The story is , I donate to Kickstarter and Kiva. Everybody knows Kickstarter it is just a donation with occasional rewards for how much you donate, with Kiva that is small loans that have a 98 percent average of being paid back. I think I have made 2 or 3 loans with Kiva and one I know has been paid back fully and I am proud to say it is one of our really good local restaurants. Anyway another loan and I am talking only 25 dollars on my part but the entire loan was more than that in the thousands, ended in default after only like 3 payments...now I see on Kickstarter the same guy asking for and getting more within days. He asked for 25,000 bucks and has hit 30,000 already after defaulting on a Kiva loan like 3 years ago for the same business venture. My Husband said just let it go and do nothing , but it bothers me knowing I fell for the guy's story and wonder if he is doing the same thing again.
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: What would you do?

by Mark R. » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:30 pm

My first question would be is what happened to the first venture? Why did it fail, was it poor management something else? Secondly if he failed 3 years ago when the economy was doing well I would be extremely skeptical about supporting any venture he was starting in today's economic environment.

Obviously the decision is yours but given what I mentioned above a new venture would have to be something extremely promising for me to invest anything in it.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:48 am

That's a tough one, Bev! Mark's advice feels reasonable ... call it a lesson learned and move on. On the other hand, it seems fair that the Kickstarter campaign ought to disclose the previous failure. It's significant background. I agree: Sleep on it, and then it's your call. :)
no avatar
User

BevP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Bullitt County KY

by BevP » Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:40 am

This is exactly the same venture as the previous Kiva one down to the wording about his family. The Kickstarter even uses the same pictures as the Kiva so that is why I am so skeptical of this guy. Maybe I should move on lest I upset someone I need not mess with and let the buyer beware.
no avatar
User

Jerry C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:33 am

Buechel

by Jerry C » Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:58 am

Burn me once, shame on you.

Burn me twice, shame on me!
no avatar
User

RussB

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:04 pm

Fern Creek

by RussB » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:00 am

Hmm. I was not aware of that.

But upon reflection, I do not think that knowledge would have changed my decision.

Kickstarter is a gamble, and with any gamble, you may lose 100% of the stake.

Sounds a bit like the restaurant industry.
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:52 am

BevP wrote:This is exactly the same venture as the previous Kiva one down to the wording about his family. The Kickstarter even uses the same pictures as the Kiva so that is why I am so skeptical of this guy. Maybe I should move on lest I upset someone I need not mess with and let the buyer beware.

Based on that additional information I don't believe I would even consider funding the Kickstarter adventure.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

BevP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Bullitt County KY

by BevP » Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:20 pm

Thanks for all the advise and I agree not going to even consider funding with Kickstarter and while I was considering going further and outing ,so to speak, this individual to Kickstarter , I think I will mind my own business and let it go.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:25 pm

That sounds like a plan to me, Bev. While they might deserve to be outed, sometimes it's better for our mental health to just let stuff go. :) I hope all's well with you and your family.