Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

A trip across the river

no avatar
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

A trip across the river

by Steve Eslinger » Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:37 pm

Let's just say I'm glad Andy Beshear is our governor.
My wife and I were itching for a break from curbside pickup and we thought that the ample space surrounding Polly's Freeze would be a suitable venue. Even if we had to eat in the car, we thought it would be a nice change of pace, plus she wanted ice cream. Wrong! Milling in front of the order window was a crowd of at least a dozen or so people, all clustered together, with literally ONE person wearing a mask. We saw a woman approaching the pack, mask in hand, decide to forego the inconvenience and into her pocket it went. Needless to say we did a u-turn in the parking lot. What a difference a river makes.
Back across this side, we found our way to Red Hog and had a perfect patio dining experience (our first of the pandemic) as they have a convenient ordering station in the patio and the patio was empty. MUCH better burger, but my wife did miss her ice cream.
And everyone we saw was wearing a mask.
no avatar
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

Re: A trip across the river

by Steve Shade » Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:49 pm

Let's just say I'm glad Andy Beshear is our governor.
+1
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:32 pm

In fairness, though, a lot depends on management. There are places in Southern Indiana doing it right ... Pints and Union, Exchange Pub & KItchen, Brooklyn and the Butcher ... and I'm sure there are more.
no avatar
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:46 pm

I'm sure you're right Robin. I guess my point was more focused on how leadership sets a tone, and I could immediately see the effects of that. I've simply not seen this kind of mask-less gathering when I've been out and about here in Louisville. Also, seeing the influence of peer behavior on the woman walking up seemingly ready and willing to wear a mask was kind of disheartening.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:24 pm

Oh, I agree, Steve. Now, I've heard of, but not yet personally seen, bad mask behavior on Baxter and in St. Matthews, so maybe part of the deal is that booze and crowds = bad behavior? But I'm not disagreeing with you. I'd take Governor Andy over the boss honcho of Indiana in a New York minute.
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:41 am

Pints and Union has been doing an outstanding job regarding everything about the virus. But being responsible restauranteurs to giving back to their community.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:10 pm

From what I'm hearing, the mask mandate doesn't reach much outside of Louisville.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

Terri Beam

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:26 pm

by Terri Beam » Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:33 pm

What would really be nice would be restaurant workers wearing their masks PROPERLY.

Too many of the young adult employees insist on leaving their noses uncovered, and I'm going to start having words with their managers if they don't get their act together.