Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Barcelona Bistro Bar

no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

Barcelona Bistro Bar

by Richard S. » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:25 am

Don't know anything about this new place in JTown, but I'm throwing it out there. Any input?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Barcelona Bistro Bar

by Robin Garr » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:44 am

IIt's on my list to check out, but the pandemic seemed to slow them down. For quite a while they had all but about two menu items marked as "not available." As sure as I'm soon it's up and fully running, I'm ready to go.

Same for Eric Morris' Faces Bistro Bar on Bardstown Road. It looks amazing, but he keeps tinkering, and I'd rather wait until he finds his groove before reviewing.
no avatar
User

Nathaniel C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:50 pm

by Nathaniel C » Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:34 pm

I got take out from this place tonight, upon recommendation from one of my friends, and it was excellent. I picked up a charcuterie board and lasagna. The charcuterie board was about what I expected. The meats all seemed to be high quality, and I'm a sucker for prosciutto. The olives were particularly good, but not pitted, so be careful, and I thought the cheese wasn't that special. It came in an oversized pizza box. I had to transfer the leftovers to smaller containers, as it wouldn't fit in my fridge. :lol:

The lasagna was amazing. I don't think I've ever had lasagna with bechamel. It's very rich, and very good. It came with a side salad. I'll be back for that alone, as well as trying some of the other things on the menu. The portions are what I would call normal size, and not giant. So many restaurants seem to be in an arms race to have the largest pile of food. I'll take a normal sized portion of superior quality food like Barcelona any day.

Robin, you might try calling them to verify which items are unavailable. When I ordered online, there were a lot of things marked unavailable, but when I went in to pick up my order, I took a gander at the chalkboard menu in front of the bar, and I think the gazpacho was the only item marked out. I am told that the artichoke chips and paella are also really good.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:14 pm

Thanks, Nathaniel! Sounds amazing, and thanks for the tip about menu availability.

That bechamel/besamella lasagna is the real Bolognese deal, by the way - that's how Marcella Hazan's cookbooks do it!