Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

What's your dining-in limit right now?

Dining inside
23%
Patio only
6%
Takeout/curbside
40%
Home delivery
3%
Just no
11%
Other (explain in a commen)
17%

Total votes : 35
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Reality check: Are you back to dining in, or ...?

by Robin Garr » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:33 am

Now that most restaurants are open again, are you willing to dine in? Dine on the patio? Takeout or curbside? Or just no?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

Re: Reality check: Are you back to dining in, or ...?

by Robin Garr » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:39 am

Oops, sorry, folks, I decided to add an "other" option to the poll, not knowing that this would erase the votes of those who had already voted. Apologies, and please feel free to vote again. :(
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:50 pm

Explanation for "other" vote:

We were limited to patio seating, but at several places from the patio we could see for ourselves that the interior was being cared for in accord with all rules. At those locations (and at a couple of others where close friends reported positive personal experiences) we now ON OCCASION will dine in.

We now dine in at Selena's, Roosters (across from Tinseltown), and Ditto's (who do a great job for dine-in).
Andrew Mellman
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:08 pm

We've actually dined in twice, and it's just weird. Part of the fun of dining in is the "happy buzz" of conversations, the clink of glassware - the sounds of a busy restaurant. Now it's just mostly silent. I can get that at home. It's just not fun right now. We do some takeout though.
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:19 pm

I wasn't able to vote, but I would do a mix of the first three. Patio (a real one) is preferred is it isn't a sweltering day. After that, dining in (if it looks safe) and takeout mix. No delivery services (in addition to the economic issues, an estimated 30% of them are eating some of your food). I don't feel the need to abstain at all if it is safe. And I tested negative.
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:52 pm

SilvioM wrote:I wasn't able to vote, but I would do a mix of the first three. Patio (a real one) is preferred is it isn't a sweltering day. After that, dining in (if it looks safe) and takeout mix. No delivery services (in addition to the economic issues, an estimated 30% of them are eating some of your food). I don't feel the need to abstain at all if it is safe. And I tested negative.

This is my position exactly.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:28 pm

SilvioM wrote:No delivery services (in addition to the economic issues, an estimated 30% of them are eating some of your food).

:shock: I had not heard that statistic, Silvio, but I was already vetoing delivery because of the other issues.

Was there a technical reason you were unable to vote? Or just that your mix of responses didn't fit the choices?
no avatar
User

Mike L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:58 am

by Mike L » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:30 pm

Something that's missing from the question, how often you ate out before? For us, it was usually once a week and on birthdays/special occasions.

We're in a high-risk category for covid... We're only getting a carryout or delivery in a situation where cooked dinner falls through for some reason and it's kind of no choice. That's only happened 2 times so far since this all started. We really miss eating out. I hope they come up with a vaccine soon and we can return to normal life.
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:50 pm

Robin Garr wrote: :shock: I had not heard that statistic, Silvio, but I was already vetoing delivery because of the other issues.

Was there a technical reason you were unable to vote? Or just that your mix of responses didn't fit the choices?

Now I see, I wasn't logged in at first which is why I couldn't access the poll. Now I can and voted Other, thanks.

As to the statistic, from a year ago..... https://www.npr.org/2019/07/30/746600105/1-in-4-food-delivery-drivers-admit-to-eating-your-food
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:44 am

Thanks, Silvio!
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:56 am

Dining inside - 15% - only if the weather is not great
Patio only - 75%
Takeout/curbside - 10%
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:56 am

JustinHammond wrote:Dining inside - 15% - only if the weather is not great
Patio only - 75%
Takeout/curbside - 10%

Bein' as how summer in Kentucky is either hot or wet, "the weather is not great" kinda describes most of the time around here! :lol:
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:30 am

Jeff Cavanaugh wrote:
JustinHammond wrote:Dining inside - 15% - only if the weather is not great
Patio only - 75%
Takeout/curbside - 10%

Bein' as how summer in Kentucky is either hot or wet, "the weather is not great" kinda describes most of the time around here! :lol:

Very true. Most places have improved outside dining since the outbreak, adding more space and shade. We have recently had great meals outside at Parlour(the smoked wings are killer), Mexa Tacos, Hooked Off Frankfort, and Riverhouse.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
User

Ray Griffith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:39 pm

Highlands

by Ray Griffith » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:54 pm

Patio and takeout/curbside.

Not dining inside
User

TimT

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue May 10, 2011 4:43 pm

West of the Mississippi

by TimT » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:14 am

I agree with Leah. Socially distant dining out is boring and worse than eating at home. From a safety standpoint, you can't socially distant an HVAC system. Regardless how far apart you are, that air conditioning is sharing the aerosols from everyone in the room without medical grade HEPA filters.

We do takeout one or two times each week from our favorite restaurants to support them, but let's face it, there's no fine dining in takeout. For that you have to go to your own D.I.Y. restaurant.

Leah S wrote:We've actually dined in twice, and it's just weird. Part of the fun of dining in is the "happy buzz" of conversations, the clink of glassware - the sounds of a busy restaurant. Now it's just mostly silent. I can get that at home. It's just not fun right now. We do some takeout though.
"I dined at my favorite restaurant last night. It was like Heaven, only better. They let me in".
Next