Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Patio dining suggestions

no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

Patio dining suggestions

by SilvioM » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:41 pm

Hi, I want to eat outside this week, but not in a parking lot, around excessive traffic, or in a heat island (or all three -- sorry Mojito in Havana, another time). A good positive example a few weeks back was the new Chik'n `& Mi location -- natural patio and shade, good food, moderate prices. Any other suggestions? Thanks.
no avatar
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

Re: Patio dining suggestions

by Steve Eslinger » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:16 pm

Selena's has a nice patio, as Robin attested to a few weeks back. In the same neighborhood, I believe the Village Anchor also has a good one.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:40 pm

I was just going to mention Selena's, which is attractive. Village Anchor's is open sides but under roof, and at least it used to have huge fans moving air around. I'd check on that before going ... I don't think I'd want to have that strong wind blowing in the age of Covid.

Seviche has a nice patio. Mesh has a very attractive one that to some extent recreates the beloved patio at its predecessor Bauer's over the prior century. And of course there's always Captain's Quarters! Across the river, I recall Exchange Pub & Kitchen as having a decent alfresco space.

I'm sure there are tons more, but those were the first that popped into mind.
no avatar
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:58 pm

Ah yes, you are right about the Village Anchor, now that you mention it. I had forgotten about those fans and the cover over the entire patio. Truth be told, I frequently confuse the Village Anchor and Selenna's when I try to picture them. I guess I don't get out that way too often.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:33 pm

While you mentioned "not in a parking lot" the Irish Rover has a huge tent covering the entire parking lot area, so there are no longer any cars there (and no exhaust fumes hitting you). While not as nice as Selena's - or as upscale with a view like River House or Captain's Quarters - they do a good job of maintaining distances and keeping clean!

Also, Kingfish (next to River House) has a nice patio with service and free music weekend nights, and has upped their quality a tad in the past year! Haven't been to the Kingfish across the river in a long time, but there and Buckheads used to have nice patios.

We've tended to go late, so that the temperature has dropped below 90, and if you go near the river there's a breeze eliminating some aspects of the "heat island."
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:56 pm

The Grape Leaf has that nice outdoor grape arbor. Nobody mentioned Chuys but they have a big covered patio space. Cunninghams has outdoor space on the creek also. Gustavo's in Prospect has really nice side patio, but I think their food is for people that think mayonnaise is spicy.
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:26 am

Thanks for the suggestions, looking into all of these. I don't need to meet all three of my criteria, just trying to get as close as possible. I agree with Robin about wanting to avoid fans under tents at this time. A non-tented natural breeze, OTOH, would be welcome in this weather.

The new Chik'n & Me outdoor area, basically a natural front yard patio of an old house with several trees, and I think Selena's or the Grape Leaf might approximate that, along with the riverside spots. And in case you haven't been to their new spot at the end of Frankfort Ave., you probably have. It has been a number of restaurants over the years. Do not recall the names (502 Wine, maybe?), but it seems like that spot has a history.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:47 pm

SilvioM wrote:It has been a number of restaurants over the years. Do not recall the names (502 Wine, maybe?), but it seems like that spot has a history.

I can confirm that it started as L&N Wine Bar around 2004, I think, and lasted almost a decade, followed by Bistro 1860 from 2013-2018 and then Hearth on Mellwood, which was run by Chik'n and Mi until Chik moved its own operation in there. Originally a 19th century farmhouse, it had been a neighborhood saloon for a while before Len Stevens and Nancy Richards came in from the closed Zephyr Cove and turned it into an upscale restaurant with a fancy wine dispensing system in the early 2000s. So that's the rest of the story. :)
no avatar
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:17 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Zephyr Cove

Wow, that’s a blast from the past!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:04 am

Jay M. wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:Zephyr Cove

Wow, that’s a blast from the past!

I must be getting old. When I wrote "Zephyr Cove," it didn't seem all that long ago. :oops:

Now, talk about Hasenour's, or maybe Imorde's ... now that's going back a way.
no avatar
User

Scott Rudd

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:59 am

St. Matthews

by Scott Rudd » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:30 am

I'm pretty sure it started of as Wheeler's Roadhouse...
Scott W. Rudd-Restaurant Design
Chef Supply
"We Supply the Pros"
502-693-0636
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:46 am

Scott Rudd wrote:I'm pretty sure it started of as Wheeler's Roadhouse...

That's the name, Scott, thanks. I'm pretty sure it started as someone's farm house in the 1800s, but it had been Wheeler's for a long time. :)
no avatar
User

Adriel Gray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:53 pm

Louisville Slugger

by Adriel Gray » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:44 am

https://www.facebook.com/TheStaveKentucky/

Check out the Stave in Frankfort near Woodford Reserve distillery. It has this awesome patio/beer garden they call The Treehouse that over looks Glenn's Creek. They do weekly music on it as well and have a brunch. Worth the trip.