Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

Bardstown Rd. comings and goings

by Steve Eslinger » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:55 am

On a recent morning walk, I noticed that the former Stout is now home to Faces Bar/Bistro. A little internet digging revealed that this is the new venture from Eric Morris, of Gospel Bird and Hull & High Water fame. The Facebook photos look intriguing and I was a fan of Hull & High Water (never made it Gospel Bird, sadly), so I'll definitely swing by there soon for a pick-up.
Across the street and down a couple blocks, I noticed that the new El Mundo now sports an "Opening Soon" sign taped to the window. I always liked the layout of that spot, whether as Asiatique or Flavor, so I'm really looking forward to enjoying that menu in a slightly less funky atmosphere (not that there's anything wrong with funky, except in certain contexts).
Sadly, on the other end of the spectrum, I was sad to see Cozy Kitchen close up shop. I had hoped they would be able to hang on, especially since their take-out business model seemed well suited for the times. I'll miss their mac and cheese and various casseroles.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Bardstown Rd. comings and goings

by Robin Garr » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:01 pm

Yeah, I've been following Faces. Eric has been doing an extended soft opening but expects to launch with his full menu in a couple of weeks ... July 14, if I remember correctly. Looks like very interesting stuff.
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:54 pm

I went to Faces once, really good. I had a fine chicken sandwich, can now see the Gospel Bird connection. The prices are good too, side included with each $12 or so sandwich, so I'll be back. They are not tapping the drafts until they can be at full capacity.

Very glad to hear about El Mundo -- that spot has taken some hits in recent years, but I think El has a lot of area fans and should do well. I think that, along with the (lesser, imo) Noche might be one reason why Migos made the switch to the Hammerheads format.
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

by SilvioM » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:38 am

More closings: HopCat and Buckhead's (Bardstown Road location only).

Those are uniquely built (esp. Hop), expensive locations that will be tough to fill, likely joining Yang Kee and Mellow Mushroom as buildings that will be vacant for awhile.
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:06 pm

SilvioM wrote:More closings: HopCat and Buckhead's (Bardstown Road location only).

Those are uniquely built (esp. Hop), expensive locations that will be tough to fill, likely joining Yang Kee and Mellow Mushroom as buildings that will be vacant for awhile.

While I won't miss either, I agree that the HopCat space will be a tough place to fill. I'm thinking with it's size, a brewery might be the best fit. Perhaps one of the established locals eyeing expansion may want to make a go of it.
User

Ron H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:10 pm

by Ron H » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:03 am

Hopcat couldn't fill the Hopcat building, I don't know how anyone else is supposed to. And I'm not sure what local brewery would be willing to take on that much real estate expense without enough parking spots to cover it. Plus, the guy who is camping in front of the building won't like having to move for open house days.
"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2000 of something." - Mitch Hedberg
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:55 am

El Mundo is now open, noon-9, Tuesday through Saturday.
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

by SilvioM » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:19 am

A very good article in the CJ on this subject. It is subscriber only, and while it ain’t the NYT or WP, they have a $0.99 a month deal for three months. Well worth it for Joseph Gerth, Phillip Bailey, and others.

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/l ... 430567002/
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:26 am

It appears another venture is taking a stab at the long-cursed spot that last housed Himalayan Indian, next to Against the Grain on Bardstown. "Afrokanza," with the sign saying something along the lines of dining, drinks, and dance. A quick google search revealed nothing, and the windows were covered in black plastic, so that's all I've got.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:28 am

It's a good start, Steve! Thanks for the early report.
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

by SilvioM » Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:12 pm

There is a sign at the old Panera Bread for "I (love emoji) Tacos" http://ilovetacoslouisville.com/

It looks like they have another location in J'Town. Any reviews of that spot? The CJ reviewed 42 taco places in their recent top ten list, that one isn't on it.

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/life/food/2018/10/03/national-taco-day-best-taco-places-louisville-kentucky/1486879002/
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:19 pm

Silvio, I'm aware of the J'town branch but never made it out there. To be honest, the name made me fear it's not up to taqueria style, but of course that's not fair. The Highlands branch is going to be more difficult to ignore. :)
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:18 am

SilvioM wrote:There is a sign at the old Panera Bread for "I (love emoji) Tacos" http://ilovetacoslouisville.com/

It looks like they have another location in J'Town. Any reviews of that spot? The CJ reviewed 42 taco places in their recent top ten list, that one isn't on it.

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/life/food/2018/10/03/national-taco-day-best-taco-places-louisville-kentucky/1486879002/

Los Azteca atmosphere, legit taqueria style tacos. The Masita de puerco was fantastic.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

Robin F.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:50 am

by Robin F. » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:16 am

I hear fantastic things about the other I ❤️ Tacos on the takeout FB group.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:27 am

Okay, that's it, I'm going. Thanks, Silvio, Justin and Robin.
Next