Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

Re: Bardstown Rd. comings and goings

by SilvioM » Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:50 pm

The name had me skeptical as well, assumed it was an outside chain at first. I'm glad the reports are positive on the other location.

To be clear, this one isn't open yet. Like the aforementioned Afrokanza up the street, the interior is being thoroughly gutted, so it'll be awhile.
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:32 pm

I have been to the jtown place a couple of times. Service great, both inside and outside. I can't say that I am a big fan of the the type of tactos they have. However Charlene thinks they are great. I liked the place ok and will return.
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:31 pm

I rarely stop by a Panera and I am glad that the space is finding a new occupant. But dios mio, another taco place? It was noted earlier in this thread that the C-J had reviewed 42 taco places. This saturation makes me numb to getting excited about trying new taco places no matter how stellar the review.

No mas, por favor!
James J. Natsis
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:40 pm

James Natsis wrote:I rarely stop by a Panera and I am glad that the space is finding a new occupant. But dios mio, another taco place? It was noted earlier in this thread that the C-J had reviewed 42 taco places. This saturation makes me numb to getting excited about trying new taco places no matter how stellar the review.

No mas, por favor!

Pero nos gustan los tacos, Señor! :D I did a review of the metro's taco status in December 2018 and concluded that taco spots had surpassed pizza joints in numbers across the metro, which seemed like a pretty significant development at the time. I expect the margin has increased since then.

DECEMBER 12, 2018
Some time during recent months, pushed by the arrival of the excellent taquerias Taco City in the Highlands and Taco Choza in St. Matthews, the metro area quietly, without any publicity, achieved full taco.

What’s that, you ask? Simple. The numbers are a little vague, but by my best count, hungry Louisvillians now have at least 65 locally owned, independent places to buy tacos, surpassing the roughly 60-plus local pizzerias.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:59 pm

Well in that case, we'll have to contact "Danny Wimmer presents" and have them add a 4th concert to their series:

Bourbon & Beyond
Hometown Rising
Louder Than Life
and......
Tacopalooza!!
(Move over Nashville. We're the Taco Music City)
James J. Natsis
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:50 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted:
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:44 am

James Natsis wrote:But dios mio, another taco place? It was noted earlier in this thread that the C-J had reviewed 42 taco places.

I thought the same when Taco City opened a mile away, across from Mid-City. Serviceable, nothing special, line is often out the door. With all of the Covid closures, I don't recall any that are taco-based. Wallets are speaking.
no avatar
User

Rich S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:07 am

by Rich S » Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:10 pm

Steve Eslinger wrote:It appears another venture is taking a stab at the long-cursed spot that last housed Himalayan Indian, next to Against the Grain on Bardstown. "Afrokanza," with the sign saying something along the lines of dining, drinks, and dance. A quick google search revealed nothing, and the windows were covered in black plastic, so that's all I've got.

It took more than a year, but Afrokanza will be opening this Friday at 1578 Bardstown. It describes itself as an Afro-Caribbean restaurant and lounge, dance club and nightclub. I don’t see a menu online yet.

https://www.facebook.com/afrokanzalounge/
Previous