Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Red Crab Coming to Okolona

no avatar
User

Terri Beam

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:26 pm

Red Crab Coming to Okolona

by Terri Beam » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:42 pm

I spied a "Red Crab Restaurant Coming Soon" sign on the building on Outer Loop that formerly housed Buckheads and WW Cousins. All I could find on a Google search was this: https://redcrabseafood.com/

This location isn't listed as "Coming Soon" on the website, but it appears that building will need some major work before opening. It seems to have really deteriorated after Cousins bailed out.

It's interesting to to see how many Cajun seafood boil places are sprouting up around the Metro. Is this the next fad in dining out?
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

Re: Red Crab Coming to Okolona

by Jay M. » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:37 pm

I didn’t know Cousins and Buckheads closed and am surprised by that. Did that happen since the virus? Also have not heard of Red Crab, but I like the concept. What are some other Cajun seafood places in the area?
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:14 pm

Jay M. wrote:I didn’t know Cousins and Buckheads closed and am surprised by that. Did that happen since the virus? Also have not heard of Red Crab, but I like the concept. What are some other Cajun seafood places in the area?

Both are still operating ... several years ago a Buckhead on the Outer Loop closed (1 of several in the region - all the others are still active), and a WWC branch/second location moved in to the then vacant Buckhead building for a short time (I think it was a franchise attempt?). It closed I think in 2019?
Andrew Mellman
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:56 am

The Buckheads on Shelbyville Rd closed years back. I really like Cousins but Buckheads always seemed to flop when we tried them
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Terri Beam

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:26 pm

by Terri Beam » Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:24 pm

Jay M. wrote:What are some other Cajun seafood places in the area?

It seems like it all started with the Seafood Lady several years ago. It's billed as Florida-style, but has many commonalities with Cajun seafood boils. Then there's Storming Crab in Clarksville. Pier 17 recently opened on Hurstbourne where Jason's Deli used to be.
no avatar
User

Rich S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:07 am

by Rich S » Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:47 pm

Terri Beam wrote:
Jay M. wrote:What are some other Cajun seafood places in the area?

It seems like it all started with the Seafood Lady several years ago. It's billed as Florida-style, but has many commonalities with Cajun seafood boils. Then there's Storming Crab in Clarksville. Pier 17 recently opened on Hurstbourne where Jason's Deli used to be.

Also, Million's Crab has been working on two restaurants here, in Shelbyville Road Plaza and in Middletown. I don't know when they're supposed to open.
no avatar
User

Rich S

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Rich S » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:25 pm

The website for the Storming Crab chain, which has a Cajun seafood restaurant in Clarksville, now lists another location as coming soon to Jefferson Mall. That’s just a few blocks down Outer Loop from the planned Red Crab.

There’s also a place called 502 Crab House planned at 5023 Mud Lane, off Preston Highway near the Bullitt County line. I assume that’s also a Cajun seafood business, but I haven’t been able to find any information about it online.

I wish them all well, but that’s a lot of new seafood restaurants for a relatively small area.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:56 am

Millions Crab lists one existing restaurant (in a Northern suburb of Cincinnati) and 14 "coming soon" including the two mentioned above! As all 14 have locations, maps, et al, that's a LOT of money going into a huge expansion!

The founders started Naked Crab and Juicy Seafood (?) franchise chains. I guess franchisees are betting on the come? May be a smart bet, as Millions has almost the identical menu as Juicy, but all dishes are boiled while Juicy fries them!
Andrew Mellman
User

BevP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat May 01, 2010 11:06 pm

Bullitt County KY

by BevP » Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:54 pm

Rich S wrote:There’s also a place called 502 Crab House planned at 5023 Mud Lane, off Preston Highway near the Bullitt County line. I assume that’s also a Cajun seafood business, but I haven’t been able to find any information about it online. .

Since I live within minutes of Mud Ln I googled the address and it looks like it is a vacant spot where there was a Jimmy Johns unless they are planning on building as there is a huge vacant lot right next to the spot where the closed sandwich shop was. I the small center where the Jimmy Johns was is a barber, eyeglass place , Dollar Tree, and a Zaxbys on the other side of the vacant lot is our local Kroger and a Penn Station and a good Chinese place
no avatar
User

Rich S

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Rich S » Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:12 am

Rich S wrote:The website for the Storming Crab chain, which has a Cajun seafood restaurant in Clarksville, now lists another location as coming soon to Jefferson Mall.

Storming Crab will be going in the old O’Charley’s building out in front of Jefferson Mall (they put up a sign).

The Virginian-Pilot, in Norfolk, recently had a good story about the history and current popularity of Viet-Cajun seafood restaurants. One thing that struck me: Three years ago, those restaurants were virtually unknown in southeastern Virginia. Today, according to the story, there are more than 25, with many more planned. I’m surprised there hasn’t been more national coverage of the trend.

https://www.pilotonline.com/food-drink/ ... story.html
no avatar
User

Rich S

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Rich S » Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:09 pm

Terri Beam wrote:I spied a "Red Crab Restaurant Coming Soon" sign on the building on Outer Loop that formerly housed Buckheads and WW Cousins.

It’s no longer Red Crab; the name has been changed to Captain Crab Seafood Boil & Bar. As far as I can tell, Captain Crab isn’t part of a chain. They’ve just started hiring, so I assume the opening won’t be too far off.

https://www.facebook.com/captaincrab4112/