Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Rich S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:07 am

Eden & Kissi/Fresh Out the Box

by Rich S » Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:58 pm

I recently discovered that two food trucks I'd never heard of have opened brick-and-mortar locations. I haven't tried either one, but they sound interesting.

Eden & Kissi, 3912 Bardstown Road in Buechel, "Afro-Caribbean Gourmet Cuisine." Looks like it opened in late January. The menu includes jerk chicken, peri-peri wings and Ivoirian jollof rice.

https://www.facebook.com/EdenAndKissi

Fresh Out the Box, Logan Street Market (1001 Logan St.), "Asian street food." Opened in late May. The menu looks fairly limited, but includes bibimbap, bulgogi and a poke bowl.

https://www.facebook.com/FOBfoodtruck/
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Eden & Kissi/Fresh Out the Box

by Robin Garr » Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:30 pm

Thanks, Rich! I've been pleasantly surprised how many small eateries have had the guts to start during a pandemic. I want to support as many of them as I can with takeouts.
no avatar
User

Dan E

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:35 am

by Dan E » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:27 am

While I do not partake of them frequently, I've eaten Fresh Out the Box once a year for the last four years at Tailspin Ale fest with my voucher.

They have a small menu that revolves around 3 well-prepared proteins (chicken, beef, pork). I always get the 3-taco meal and sample all 3 of the proteins, each of which I thoroughly enjoy. The spicy pork and the soy-marinated chicken might stand out above the beef in my book, but i clearly enjoy said beef enough to keep ordering it. Each taco comes with your choice of 2 of their 18 or so toppings. I'm a fan of the homemade kimchi. It isn't super spicy but has a great flavor.

I'm a huge fan of dumplings and potstickers in general, and their version is strong. They also make a fine egg roll. I actually ordered curbside from their LSM location just a couple weeks ago, and found everything to be just as good, even at a normal level of Saturday inebriation, as opposed to the elevated level of post-Tailspin drunkenness.

I've yet to try Eden & Kissi, but have heard good things from both friends and the internet. It is on the list.
no avatar
User

Rich S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:07 am

by Rich S » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:36 am

I finally managed to visit Fresh Out the Box at the Logan Street Market, and I’ll definitely be back. I had the Seoul Bowl, which has a variety of options, but I wound up with a rice bowl with chicken, spicy radish, broccoli and Korean chili sauce. It was very good. In the future, I’d like to try the pork dumplings and Korean vegetable dumplings.

For those interested in Hawaiian food, Fresh Out the Box also serves poke bowls and loco moco. The Fresh Out the Box Facebook page doesn’t seem to show the menu, but Yelp has a photo of the menu board:

https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/fresh-o ... 6csYKqG4EA
User

Jerry C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:33 am

Buechel

by Jerry C » Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:31 pm

I went to Eden & Kissi after watching a review on youtube from a local food guy (Barry Goodall, Jr.). I know Barry's aunt and parents. Eden & Kissi is for real. Very small (to go only) but he does the grilling./smoking on site. Very flavorful! Here is a link to Barry's review... (he has dozens)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bmco01vekYY
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:09 am

What a great video! Those wings look amazing!
Road trip!
P.S. Hibiscus tea before bedtime will definitely give you some bizarre dreams. I might need a cup o’that!
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Ron H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:10 pm

by Ron H » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:31 am

I've had Eden & Kissi at Flea Off Market and various other street eating venues, and it's always been great stuff.
"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2000 of something." - Mitch Hedberg
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:57 pm

I appreciate hearing about places like this that are off the main strips. I went to Eden & Kissi yesterday, had a curry chicken with rice that was great, really good food and a friendly owner who went to the smoker a few times while I was there, in full use. I was there later in the day and he was out of the jerk and a several other things, but it worked out fine.

It is worth noting that there are only two stools inside and a handful of small folding tables in the lot, not ideal for a rainy Saturday. So it is best for carryout, will return for another take-home order sometime soon. I also still want to try Jasmin, Dasha, and a few other things in that area.
User

Ron H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:10 pm

by Ron H » Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:35 am

SilvioM wrote:I also still want to try Jasmin, Dasha, and a few other things in that area.

Jasmin is my favorite gyro in town. I also liked Borsalino, it's a very Eastern European experience.
"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2000 of something." - Mitch Hedberg